Blackey is a west Letcher county community on the North Fork of Kentucky River at the mouth of Rockhouse Fork. One of the earliest Anglo-American settlements in the area, known as Indian Bottom, may have been at or near the site. The community was probably named for Blackey Brown, a local resident. The Blackey post office opened in 1908 and closed in 1913. In 1919 the Indian Bottom post office, which opened about 1850 just up Rockhouse Fork, moved to Blackey and assumed that name.