Chilesburg was a Fayette county community located where the railroad crossed Cleveland Road (KY 1973), about a mile south of the Winchester Pike (US 60). Chilesburg was originally located on the Winchester Pike and originated with the tavern of Richard Chiles, who also operated a post office there from 1826 until 1830. The post office reopened in 1863 and when the Lexington and Big Sandy Railroad was completed in 1872, the post office and village moved to the new site. The post office closed in 1954. The site was also known as Athens Station, for the town of Athens, located about four miles farther south on KY 1973.