Columbia, the seat of Adair county, was settled about 1800. The town was laid out as the seat of the newly formed county in 1802. The name is thought to be for Christopher Columbus. The Adair Court House post office opened in 1806 and was later known as Columbia Court House and Columbia. The population in 2010 was 4,452.
Columbia is the home of Lindsey Wilson College.