Corbin, the largest town in Whitley county, is on Lynn Camp Creek on the northeastern edge of the county, extending into Knox county. It began as Lynn Camp, named for William Lynn, around 1800. The Louisville and Nashville Railroad arrived in 1882 and the town was also known as Lynn Camp Station. The first post office at the site opened in 1883 as Cummins, in honor of Nelson Cummins, a town founder. It was renamed Corbin, for local minister the Rev. James Corbin Floyd, in 1885 and the town was incorporated in 1905. The population in 1990 was 7,419.