Covington, one of the seats of Kenton county, is located at the confluence of the Ohio and Licking rivers. The area was known as The Point during the eighteenth century and a settlement there may have been known as Kennedy's Ferry. In 1815 the town of Covington was formed and named for General Leonard Wales Covington. The other seat of Kenton county is Independence. The population of Covington in 1990 was 43,264.
This bridge between Covington and Cincinnati was designed by John Roebling and opened in 1867. At the time it was the longest suspension bridge in the world. This is a view of Cincinnati from the Covington end of the bridge in 1997.
The Roman Catholic Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption in Covington was completed in 1910.