Dayhoit is a small Harlan county town on the Cumberland River below the mouth of Ewing Creek about two miles west of Harlan. The post office opened in 1897 as Day, a local family. The name was changed to Wilhoit in 1913 for the owner of a local coal company. In 1915 the post office moved to the White Star Coal Company mines on Ewing Creek and the name was changed to White Star. In 1921 the Dayhoit post office opened near the site of the earlier Wilhoit post office and in 1930 the White Star office closed.