Elkton, the seat of Todd county, was settled early in the nineteenth century and named for the Elk Fork of Red River. The original town on Elk Fork was established about 1817 but was moved about one half mile west in 1820 after the formation of the county. The original location is now known as Old Elkton. The Elkton post office opened in 1817. The population in 1990 was 1,789.
The Todd County Courthouse in Elkton.