Ellisville is a northern Nicholas county village at US 68 and Stony Creek. It was established in 1805 as the county seat on the Lexington-Maysville Road. The site had been the farm of James Ellis since before 1782 and the site of Ellis Station. (The county seat moved to Carlisle in 1816.) An Ellisville post office operated from 1809 to about 1820 and from 1879 to 1906.