Forks of Elkhorn is a Franklin county community where the North and South forks of Elkhorn Creek meet before running into the Kentucky River. The area was settled in the late eighteenth century and was usually known as The Forks. It is on US 460 less than one mile east of Frankfort. Forks of Elkhorn was also the site of a railway station known as Elsinore. The source of that name is not known. The Forks of Elkhorn post office operated from 1848 until 1965.