Fort Mitchell is a northern Kenton county town three miles southwest of Covington. It is on the site of fortifications built to defend Cincinnati and northern Kentucky during the Civil War and was named for General Ormsby McKnight Mitchel, a professor at Cincinnati College (now the University of Cincinnati) who designed them. (The reason for the difference in the spellings is obscure.) Fort Mitchell was chartered in 1909. The population in 1990 was 7,438.