Fort Spring is a western Fayette county community located where South Elkhorn Creek crosses the Versailles Road (US 60). A mill, store, and taverns were located in the vicinity early in the nineteenth century. The community was generally known as Slickaway by the middle of the century, but the first post office in the area operated as Reform from 1854 until 1857. A Slickaway post office operated from 1872 until 1886 when it was renamed Fort Spring after a nearby farm. The Fort Spring post office closed in 1903. The sources of the names have not been established.