Guthrie is a Todd county community south of Elkton on the Kentucky-Tennessee border. It is on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and US 41.
Guthrie began as a stage stop called Pondy Woods ca. 1840 and may later have been called State Line. The town was established later and named for James A. Guthrie, U.S. Senator and the railroad's president. The Guthrie post office opened ca. 1868 and the town was incorporated in 1876. The population in 2000 was 1,469.