Henderson, the seat of Henderson county, was settled in the late eighteenth century as Red Banks. It 1797 the town of Henderson was laid out for the Transylvania Company and named for Colonel Richard Henderson. It is located on a bluff overlooking the Ohio river near its confluence with the Green. The Henderson post office opened in 1801. The population in 1990 was 25,945.
Henderson is the home of Henderson Community College.