Hickman, the seat of Fulton county, is on the bluffs above the Mississippi River below the mouth of Bayou du Chien. The site was originally known as Mills Point for James Mills, an early settler. It was later renamed for the family of the wife of G.W.L. Marr, a local landowner. The Mills Point post office opened in 1830 and was renamed Hickman in 1845. The population in 1990 was 2,689.