Irvington is a northeastern Breckinridge county town near the border with Meade county. It was established as a station on the Louisville, St. Louis, and Texas railroad in 1888 and named for Irvington, New York, the home of the railroad's chief engineer. A post office opened at the site in 1885 as Merino, named for the nearby Mt. Merino Seminary, and was renamed Irvington in 1888. The population in 1990 was 1,180.