Lawrenceburg, the seat of Anderson county, is at the junction of US 62, US 127, and KY 44 about three miles west of the Kentucky River. The site was once known as Kaufman's Station for Jacob Kaufman who established a settlement in 1780. The town was first called Lawrence for William Lawrence, one of its founders, and was renamed Lawrenceburg in 1827. The post office opened in 1817 as Lawrenceburgh. The population in 1990 was 5,911.