Morgantown, the seat of Butler county, is west of the Green River on US 231, KY 70, and KY 79. It was established in 1811 by Christopher Funkhouser and may have first been known as Funkhouser Hill or Morgan Town, (the source of the second name is obscure). The Butler Court House or Morgantown post office opened in 1813. The population in 1990 was 2,284.
The Butler County Courthouse in Morgantown.