Mount Washington is a northeastern Bullitt county town. It was founded in the early nineteenth century and was known as Crossroads. It was chartered in 1822 as Mount Vernon, probably for George Washington's home, and was later renamed since the name was already in use by Mount Vernon in Rockcastle county. The Mount Washington post office opened in 1830. The population in 1990 was 5,226.