Newport, one of the seats of Campbell county, is located near the confluence of the Ohio and Licking rivers. The town was founded in 1792 and named for Captain Christopher Newport, who sailed the first English ship to Jamestown in 1607. The population of Newport in 1990 was 18,871. The other seat of Campbell county is Alexandria.
The Campbell County Courthouse in Newport was constructed in 1883.