Paradise was an eastern Muhlenberg county town on the Green River about ten miles northeast of Greenville. It was settled early in the nineteenth century and was known as Stum's Landing (for Leonard Stum who owned a store and ferry there). It may have also been known as Monterey (for the town in Mexico), but was renamed Paradise for reasons that are now obscure. The site of Paradise is now occupied by a Tennessee Valley Authority coal-fired electric plant. The Paradise post office opened in 1852 and closed in 1967.