Pewee Valley is a town in southwestern Oldham county on KY 146 near the boundary with Jefferson county. The town of Smiths Station, probably named for a local businessman, was established on the site in 1852 on the Louisville and Frankfort Railroad. The Pewee Valley post office opened in 1856. The source of the name is obscure. The population in 1990 was 1,283.