Russell is a Greenup county town on the Ohio River between Greenup and Ashland. The site is near the location of an earlier community that was known as Amanda Furnace, named for the daughter of one of the owners of the iron furnace there. The furnace was in operation from 1829 until 1861. In 1869 a new town was established by John Russell and the Means and Russell Iron Company. Originally known as Riverview, it was named Russell in 1872. The Russell post office opened in 1873. The population in 1990 was 4,014.
Russell is the headquarters of Ashland, Inc.