Saint Matthews is an eastern Jefferson county town and suburb of Louisville. The area, along Beargrass Creek, was settled beginning in 1779. It was known as Sale's Precinct and later Gilman's Point, both for local tavern owners. A post office opened in 1849 as Lynnford, probably named for the nearby Linn Station. The St. Matthews post office opened in 1851, named for the local Episcopal church. The post office closed in 1931. St. Matthews was incorporated in 1950. The population in 1990 was 15,800.