Smithland, the seat of Livingston county, is located on the Ohio River at the mouth of the Cumberland River. It is served by US 60. An earlier settlement called Smithland was established below the current site in 1780, but by 1800 had moved to the current location and was incorporated in 1805. It was named to honor James Smith, an early explorer of the area. The Smithland post office opened in 1802. The population in 2010 was 301.
The old Livingston county courthouse in Smithland. The Gower House, an inn on the Ohio River in Smithland, was built about 1780.