West Point is a northern Hardin county town on the Ohio River at the mouth of the Salt River. It was founded in 1796. On the opposite side of the Salt River in Jefferson county a town named Williamsville, probably named for William Johnson, a local land owner, had been established in 1792. The two communities became known together as Mouth of Salt River. The West Point post office opened in 1819.