Westport is a western Oldham county community on the Ohio River. It was established late in the eighteenth century and may have originally been known as Liberty. It was called Westport by 1797 and was made the seat of Oldham county when it was formed in 1823. The seat was moved to La Grange in 1827, back to Westport in 1828, and back to La Grange again in 1838. The Westport post office opened in 1816.