Office of the Academic Ombud -- A neutral, independent and confidential resource for UK students and faculty

109 Bradley Hall • • 859-257-3737 • University Senate Rules

Professor talking with student in a laboratory


If students believe they were graded unfairly on a particular paper, test, or other assignment, or if they believe their final course grade is unfair, they are encouraged to share their concerns with the instructor of the course and/or the chair of the department where the course is taught. If issues cannot be resolved, students discuss the matter with the Academic Ombud who will contact the instructor for his/her perspective and assess the merit of the case. The Ombud may attempt to resolve or mediate the dispute.

If the grade dispute involves a final grade and the Ombud cannot resolve the issue informally, the case may be sent to the University Appeals Board (UAB) for a hearing. The UAB is the only entity on campus that can modify a grade other than the instructor. If the student wants to pursue an appeal, he or she will be asked to make the case in writing and the instructor will then be contacted for his/her perspective. If the Ombud determines that the student's case has merit, the matter will be sent to the UAB for a hearing; however, if the Ombud determines that the case does not have merit, the student will be notified in writing and will then have 30 days to appeal to the UAB directly, requesting that a hearing be granted.

There is a 180 day statute of limitations for grade appeals.

For the Senate Rule regarding grades, see Senate Rule 6.1.3 B .