19 August 2003
My friend Buck suggested that I make a day trip to Zaanse Schans to see the
windmills and working farms there. So I took the train from Amsterdam, got off
at the station Koog/Zaandijk and walked to the park (www.zaanseschans.nl).
It was a beautiful day and the scenery was excellent. The following is what I
- De Dood molen, mill outside the park
on the other side of the canal
- The Zaan, from the bridge cross the
- museum row at Zaanse Schans
- De Huisman mustard mill
- windmill row, (for more information on
the mills, visit www.zaansemolen.nl)
- windmill row
- Klompenmakerij, wooden shoe maker, I
bought three pairs of wooden shoes for my children here
- field near the Catharina Hoeve cheese
barn, the little windmill pumps water out of the fields
- view from the deck of De Kat windmill,
a paint mill
- the fast-moving blade of De Kat
windmill, the power handled by this mill is amazing!
- the saw mill, from De Kat
- De Kat molen
After this, I walked back to the train station and took off for Haarlem.