Campus News Banner


Anderson Building Dedication
Completes College of Engineering Project

By George Lewis

 

Small UK Logo

"This building greatly expands College of Engineering teaching and research capabilities. It will enable the college to accommodate growth in the faculty, and it will also meet the increasing demands of students."

-- Tom Lester, dean of the UK College of Engineering

Small UK Logo

Sept. 6, 2002 (Lexington, Ky.) -- Kentucky Gov. Paul Patton, University of Kentucky President Lee T. Todd Jr., and Ray Bowen, president emeritus of Texas A&M University, were among the dignitaries dedicating the Ralph G. Anderson Building today on the campus of the University of Kentucky. The ceremony marked the completion of a $100-million project to upgrade UK engineering facilities.

"This building greatly expands College of Engineering teaching and research capabilities," said Tom Lester, dean of the UK College of Engineering. "It will enable the college to accommodate growth in the faculty, and it will also meet the increasing demands of students."

Known for his philanthropic endeavors, particularly those benefiting UK, Anderson, the building's namesake, is a native of Harrodsburg, Ky. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering from UK in 1950. In 1958, Anderson founded Belcan Corp., headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. Belcan provides a variety of engineering and technical personnel services for industry, including aircraft engine development, design and analysis; architectural and facilities engineering; process engineering and design; equipment development; custom engineered equipment design; and related engineering services.

Today, Belcan employs 4,000 persons and generates $400 million in revenue annually at its 43 offices nationally and internationally.

In addition to remarks by Patton and Todd, Bowen, a former dean of the UK College of Engineering, delivered the keynote address at the dedication.

Bowen was dean of the UK College of Engineering from 1983 to 1989. During that time, the college experienced a surge of physical growth, including the Mining and Mineral Resources Building, the Center for Robotics and Manufacturing Systems and the Agricultural Engineering Building. Bowen is credited with establishing key College of Engineering associations, including the Engineering Alumni Association and several vital student support associations.

Today's ceremony recognized major personal and corporate financial gifts from Anderson; Anne Raymond, wife of the late Oliver Raymond; Joe and Suzanne Teague; William T. Young; Kentucky Utilities Co.; and Lexmark International Inc.

The Anderson Building offers state-of-the-art laboratory space for graduate research and undergraduate education, teaching facilities, a student career-resource center, conference rooms, computing labs, and a student commons area.

The complex has about 114,800 total square feet on four levels. Primary materials of brick and limestone are in context with nearby structures. By intention, the building has an industrial, functional look about it.

Ground was broken for the building Feb. 25, 2000.


Back to Campus News Homepage