The Patterson School serves the state, nation and world by the rigorous education of future leaders to work in international diplomacy, commerce, development, intelligence and security. This is accomplished in a flexible, intimate learning environment that integrates academic studies, practical training, and real world experience. Our graduates emerge ready to undertake challenging careers with global responsibilities in the public, private and non-profit sectors.
Vision and Goals
With a tradition of leadership and innovation, and a commitment to excellence, the Patterson School is keenly focused on what will be required to prepare international policymakers to meet the demands of the 21st century. We continue to be guided by James Patterson’s visionary approach to the integrated study of diplomacy and international commerce. We will constantly refine our curriculum to ensure that we are effectively educating future global leaders in both fields. As one of the nation’s leading masters programs in international affairs, we are blessed to be building upon a very solid foundation.
As we move beyond the Patterson School’s 50th anniversary, our strategic goals remain clear. We will continue our exclusive focus on master's level education, have no plans to develop part-time or on-line offerings, and will maintain the limited size of our student cohort. At the same time, we are committed to increasing significantly the financial support available for students and further enhancing the world-class quality of our program. Integral to this vision are:
- Attracting students of ever-greater diversity and excellence.
- Hiring of additional faculty and staff.
- Integration of innovative technologies to transform learning experience and school operations.
- Acquisition of requisite dedicated facilities appropriate for a program of this international stature.
- Expanding the range and quality of corporate, governmental, and military co-curricular activities.
- Developing strategic partnerships with additional public and private sector actors.
- Greater outreach to benefit UK, the community, the Commonwealth and the nation.