Dual Career Partner Services
...For the Spouse/Partner of Relocating Faculty
Life in the Bluegrass
We think you’ll discover that life in the Bluegrass State provides many opportunities. In Kentucky, you’ll find solace in the beauty of nature- rolling hills, plentiful lakes and picturesque horse farms; a vibrant, professional visual and performing arts community; comfortable, affordable homes- historical or brand new; and an avid love of sports.
Lexington, Kentucky, known as the Horse Capital of The World, has a thriving metro area and is the second largest city in Kentucky. It’s no wonder the population is growing. Lexington is a great place to live, work and raise a family. In 2006, Lexington was named one of Kiplinger’s 50 Smart Places to Live. The list was based on factors such as cost of living and housing, quality health care, low crime rate, economic vitality and quality of life.
When there are two careers to think about...
- A “snapshot” of Lexington life.
- Insight into UK’s comprehensive benefits package.
- Tips on how to manage a search for UK Jobs.
- Information about potential employers in the area that may be a good match.
- Guidance and support until your partner secures a new position – for up to one year into the relocation.
- Information about UK’s Employee Education Program and a Family Education Program offering tuition benefits.
Resources for a Smoother Transition
Relocating while trying to conduct a job search can be a challenge. UK’s Dual Career Partner service connects incoming faculty members with employment and relocation professionals to assist in this transition.
Relocation Resources and Consulting
- Find out why Lexington is such a great place to live, including its recent ranking as one of the most creative cities in the U.S. by Richard Florida, author of Rise of the Creative Class, as well as one of CNN’s top ten “brainiest” cities.
- Referral to local realtors and community agencies.
Local Employment Referral and Resources
- Customized career consulting services, including assistance with crafting resumes, tailoring cover letters and preparing for interviews.
- Review of major employers in the area, including Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky, Lexmark International, IBM Global Service, L-3 Communications Integrated Systems, ALLTEL, and Tempur-Pedic International, as well as major educational and health care employers.
- Help narrow down the list of potential employers to those who might be a good fit.
How it Works
1. You or your partner contacts us to schedule a meeting.
2. We provide assistance in designing a job search strategy, information about UK benefits, and highlights of Lexington life.
3. If your partner is interested in UK Jobs, we’ll guide you through the process, from application to interview.
4. Partner relocation assistance will not diminish a candidate’s chances of receiving the position.
For more information
...or to schedule a Dual Career Partner consultation contact:
Institutional Staff Officer
Office of the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs