Building from the good work already completed and steered by our guiding principles, we are now transitioning into the implementation phase. The next 18 months will be a partnership period, during which time we will focus on infrastructure and resources needed to ensure that our colleges are successful. Even as we operate with the existing budget model, the new model will inform each step of the budgetary process for the next fiscal year.
We are establishing dates for a series of education sessions with Deans and directors of administrative units, and we will ask colleagues participating in these sessions to report back quickly to their units on our progress. Moreover, we understand that partnership and continued engagement with affected units is critical. Several work groups and teams are collaboratively addressing critical questions and issues as part of this implementation phase.
We are in the process of inviting faculty and staff to join these working groups. Some of the teams and key issues include:
- A core team that will help oversee the implementation process
- A faculty advisory team to maintain feedback as part of our commitment to shared governance
- A focus on training as described above
- A unit analysis and communication of how that is conducted
- A development of policies implemented along with the model to ensure its smooth and seamless operation
- A system in which the budget process is regularly updated to ensure both transparency and accountability
- A commitment to continuously work with Deans to ensure understanding of the new model throughout each college
- A training process for budget officers, who must implement the budget model on a day-to-day basis
- A commitment to continued communication throughout all phases of the process
- A research budget advisory group to identify and make recommendations on all key aspects of the transition
- A system of dashboards and metrics that provides transparent guideposts of progress and feedback for improvement as the model is implemented
This site will be regularly updated to keep the campus informed of our progress and next steps throughout the implementation phase.