Thank you for your interest in applying for the social work major. To complete the application process, please follow the instructions outlined below and submit the required materials to Katie Wilder, POT 605 or Dr. Patricia Cook-Craig in POT 669.
Please note: You need to be admitted to the University of Kentucky and a Pre-Social Work major prior to filing this application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
For Fall semester: August 1
For Spring semester: December 1
For Summer semester: May 1
The Undergraduate Program Director and the Admissions Committee makes admission decisions. You will be notified of the status of your application before the opening of the term for which you have applied.
2. To be eligible to apply for the BASW program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 or higher on all college work
- A grade of B or better in both SW 124 (or equivalent) and SW 222 (or equivalent), or a grade of B or better in SW 322 (or equivalent)
- A passing grade in both an introductory psychology and introductory sociology course, PS 101, as well as in BIO 103 or BIO 110
3. The application requires that you complete the application form in its entirety and submit a written essay.
Instructions for the essay: In 500-750 words complete the following:
- Elaborate on one thing that you learned in your introductory social work class that is essential to remember as a professional social worker. (Include an explanation of your topic or idea)
- Elaborate on why you consider it to be a high priority in social work.
Your essay will be evaluated on:
- The degree to which your essay demonstrates an understanding of social work.
Your ability to effectively communicate your ideas through writing.
It is recommended that you use spell check and proof-read your essay prior to submitting it with the application.
Proper use of APA style. Be sure to properly cite all sources.
Please read carefully: This Petition for Consideration of Exception is available to students who have experienced academic difficulties of a short duration or due to extenuating circumstances. This petition can be utilized by students who have experienced events that have impacted their academic performance such as:
- Personal illness, trauma or disability
- Family illness, trauma or death
- Financial or college adjustment difficulties
In addition, recent semester(s) GPA score(s) need to show substantial academic improvement to clearly demonstrate the ability to meet this standard.
If you are eligible to apply, you are encouraged to provide as much specific evidence of your academic abilities, as well as specific steps you plan to take to continue to improve your performance.
If you are eligible to submit this petition, please provide the following information typed on a separate sheet of paper entitled " Petition for Consideration of Exception."
The following sections must be clearly addressed in this petition:
- Describe any specific obstacles or circumstances that hindered your past academic achievement.
- Describe how you overcame, or plan to overcome, these obstacles if you are admitted into the BASW program
- Convince the Undergraduate Admissions Committee that you have greater potential for success in your academics than is reflected in your current GPA.
The BASW curriculum as well as admission standards are subject to change as faculty identify a need for revision.
The College of Social Work adheres to the Code of Ethics of the National Association of Social Workers. The Code of Ethics is published on the NASW website at http://www.naswdc.org/pubs/code/default.asp. Students and faculty are expected to abide by the provisions of the Code of Ethics at all times.