- Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Survivors
- Child Bereavement
- Child Psychopathology
Talk with Julie: @juliecerel
Julie Cerel, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor and a licensed psychologist in the University of Kentucky College of Social Work. Dr. Cerel completed a three year postdoctoral fellowship (NIMH: T32) in Suicide Prevention at the University of Rochester prior to joining the faculty at UK in 2005. She completed her doctoral degree in clinical psychology from The Ohio State University and an internship and clinical fellowship in child clinical psychology at West Virginia University. Her undergraduate degree is from Kenyon College.
Cerel specializes in research on suicide bereavement, suicide prevention and suicide attempt survivors. Cerel has been funded by SAMHSA, the Military Suicide Research Consortium (MSRC), American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). She is President-elect for the American Association of Suicidology (www.suicidology.org) and has served as the Research Division director and Board Chair. She serves on the board of Kentucky Suicide Prevention Group (http://kentuckysuicideprevention.org/).
Representative publications since 2012:
- Frey, L. M., Hans, J. D., & Cerel, J. (in press, 2015). Suicide Attempt Disclosure and Depression: The Moderating and Mediating Effects of Family Reaction. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior
- Cerel, J., Maple, M., van de Venne, J, Moore, M , Flaherty, C, & Brown, M. (in press, 2015) Suicide exposure in the community: Prevalence and correlates in one US state. Public Health Reports
- Cerel, J., van de Venne, J., Moore, M., Maple, M., Flaherty, C., & Brown, M. M (2015). Veteran Exposure to Suicide: Prevalence and Correlates. Journal of Affective Disorders. DOI 10.1016/j.jad.2015.03.017
- Moore, M., Cerel, J, & Jobes, D. (in press, 2015). Posttraumatic Growth among Suicide-Bereaved Parents. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention
- Cerel, J. Brown, M., Moore, M. M., van de Venne, J., & Brown, S. L. (2014). Who leaves suicide notes? A six year population-based study. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior DOI: 10.1111/sltb.12131
- Cerel, J. McIntosh, J., Neimeyer, R., Maple, M & Marshall, D. (2014). The Continuum of Survivorship: Definitional Issues in the Aftermath of Suicide. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior. doi: 10.1111/sltb.12093
- Maple, M., Cerel, J., Jordan, J. J. & McKay, K. (2014). Uncovering and identifying the missing voices in suicide bereavement. Suicidology Online. 5.
- Frey, L. M. & Cerel, J. (2014). Risk for Suicide and the Role of Family: A Narrative Review. Journal of Family Issues. DOI: 10.1177/0192513X13515885
- Aldrich, R. S., Harrington, N. G. & Cerel, J. (2014). The willingness to intervene against suicide questionnaire. Death Studies.38 (2). 100-108. DOI:10.1080/07481187.2012.738763
- Cerel, J., Bolin, M. C. & Moore, M. (2013). Suicide exposure, awareness and attitudes in college students. Advances in Mental Health. 12(1). 46-53.
- Cerel, J, Maple, M., Aldrich, R., & van de Venne, J. (2013) Exposure to suicide and identification as survivor: Results from a random-digit dial survey. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention. 34(6):413-9. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000220.
- Moore, M., Maple, M. Mitchell, A., & Cerel, J. (2013). Challenges and Opportunities for Suicide Bereavement Research: The Experience of Ethical Board Review. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention. 34(5), 297-304. doi: 10.1027/0227-5910/a000191
- Cerel, J., Padgett, J., Robbins, T., & Kaminer, B. (2012) Gatekeeper training for suicide prevention in Kentucky: A state’s example. Journal of Evidence Based Social Work. 9(3): 283-292
Linn-Gust, M. & Cerel, J. (2011) Seeking Hope: Stories of the Suicide Bereaved, Chellheadworks. ISBN: 978-0-9723318-4-5