Tree branches and leaves graphic with dots

Making an Appointment

If you are an eligible student enrolled and paying for a minimum of 6 credit-bearing hours in the current semester (see below* for summer eligibility) and are not a current client of the UKCC, there are two ways to obtain an appointment for an initial assessment. Call (859) 257-8701 during our business hours (8:00 AM - 4:30 PM Monday – Friday) and be scheduled for an initial assessment later in the week or following week.  Or, for a same-day initial assessment appointment, walk into 106 Frazee Hall between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. M, T, Th, and F, and 11 a.m. – 3 p. m. on Wednesday and be seen on a "first come, first served" basis. You may have to wait to be seen so bring homework or other material while waiting for your appointment. If there are several students waiting in front of you for an initial assessment and you are not in crisis, you may be asked to make a future appointment or walk-in on a different day.

Your first appointment will likely take between 45-90 minutes (15-20 minutes for paperwork and 30-45 minutes to meet with a counselor).

Current UKCC clients who are in crisis will be seen [or provided a phone consultation] as soon as possible, between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.  Please ask to speak with the DOC ("Daily On-Call" psychologist).

For more on what to expect in the first appointment, go to the Frequently Asked Questions page.

*summer eligibility: enrolled and paying for one credit-bearing hour during either summer session, or enrollment in 6 or more credit-bearing hours the prior spring semester, and pre-enrollment in 6 or more credit-bearing hours in the upcoming fall semester.

**We have recently changed our attendance policy in order to best utilize our clinical appointment slots and meet student demand for services. If a student does not attend an individual appointment (including an initial intake) and failed to cancel it by 4 pm of the prior business day, it will be counted as a no-show. When a person reaches 3 no-shows, he or she will be no longer eligible for ongoing individual services at the Counseling Center and may be offered other alternatives such as drop-in workshops and community referrals.

Our Location

We are on the second and third floors of Frazee Hall, on Administration Drive next to the Student Center. Find us on the campus map.


All counseling services are offered to fee-paying students who are enrolled for at least six credit-bearing hours at UK, in undergraduate, graduate or professional programs. Masters and Doctoral candidates in thesis/dissertation status are eligible for services, as are advanced graduate students enrolled in either zero credit hour status or the two-hour residency course (767). During the summer, students must meet one of two criteria: fee-paying students enrolled in at least 6 credit-bearing hours the prior spring semester and the upcoming fall semester; or fee-paying students enrolled for at least one credit-bearing hour during either summer session.


Our records are separate from all other university records. We do not reveal any information about anyone using our services unless that person gives us written permission to do so or unless required by law.

Sometimes it is in a client's best interest for information to be shared with a third party. If you would like for the Counseling Center to share information with specific individuals or offices, the release form (Form is a PDF document.) may be completed, signed, and hand-delivered, faxed to (859) 257-3319, or mailed to the Counseling Center at 106 Frazee Hall Lexington, KY 40506-0031. If this form is faxed or mailed, we may require independent verification from the client that this release is authentic and should be acted upon. Please note if the release should come to the attention of a specific counselor.

For additional information about eligibility, confidentiality, and our Center's general service policy, please click here for our Counseling Center Service Policy (Form is a PDF document.).

University of Kentucky Division of Student Affairs

Some Web sites to which these materials provide links for the convenience of users are not managed by the University of Kentucky. The university does not review, control or take responsibility for the contents of those sites.