Information for Faculty
Students who need exam accommodations must provide their faculty with letters of accommodation for the current semester from the Disability Resource Center (DRC). Refer students without letters or outdated letters back to the Disability Resource Center. Students must provide faculty their accommodation letter seven or more days prior to any upcoming exam/quiz. If a student does not meet this deadline, faculty have the discretion of providing the exam with accommodations themselves. Please note that the DRC exam service is optional; thus, academic departments who have the resources to provide accommodated exams are encouraged to do so.
1. Receive a letter of accommodation for the current semester on Disability Resource Center (DRC) stationary from the student.
- If the letter is not for the current semester refer the student to the DRC.
- Students are told to provide faculty their accommodation letter seven or more days prior to any upcoming exam/quiz. If a student does not meet this deadline, faculty have the discretion of providing the accommodations on the coming assignment or not but must for all future assignments.
2. Make arrangements for the quiz/exam with the student within your office or department.
If you have questions about how to meet any type of accommodation stated in a letter of accommodation from the DRC please contact us.
If meeting the accommodation needs of the student are not possible in your department the DRC Office’s proctoring service can assist as the backup plan. Please note that the DRC office has very limited resources despite the growing number of requests. It is not the student’s choice where to take an exam, if arrangements can be made within the department we ask that you please do so. When the DRC receives a request for a student with the accommodations of only
- “Extended time of (50% or 100%)” and/or
- “A low distraction testing environment”
We will ask that arrangements be made in the department. If you send the DRC office a request for a student with the above accommodations we will reply with a request of conformation that you were truly not able to make arrangements; please note, this correspondence is sent in an effort to work in a collaborative way with the departments to meet everyone’s accommodation needs. If no reply is received the DRC office will conclude that the instructor/student/department were able to make all of the necessary arrangements.
To submit a request to the DRC office:
- Requests to schedule an exam through the DRC proctoring services must submitted by the instructor.
- Complete the “Accommodated Testing Form” completely by the deadline (see links below) in either electronic form (online form) or downloadable form (paper form). - The exam time and location will be determined by DRC exam coordinator.
- Check the online schedule for the details of the exam(s) 1-2 days before the scheduled exam. Exam schedules will be posted on the homepage of our website as soon as they are complete for the student and instructor to view. Please share the below information with your student(s). Students should view the UK DRC Accommodated Exam Schedule 1-2 days before an upcoming exam date at the following link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtTuh12_Od4OdEtpNVo2akNRR0NhZzhET2xGbVBlU0E&usp=sharing
- Faculty must deliver the exams to the DRC office by 12:00 pm (noon) the day prior to the scheduled exam. Exams can be delivered by email, fax, or hand delivery
- Completed exams are to be picked up by the instructor or whom they designate the day after the scheduled exam at the DRC office between 8 am-5 pm Monday through Friday.
- Again, please note that scheduling exams through the DRC exam service is optional; thus, academic departments who have the resources to provide accommodated exams are encouraged to do so.
If classes are canceled or delayed the exams scheduled for that day/time period through the DRC office will not take place as scheduled.
The DRC office will NOT automatically reschedule the exams scheduled during a delay or closure; instead we request that all instructors work with their students to reschedule the exam together within their offices or departments. If this is not possible then the DRC will take one by one requests from the instructors to reschedule the exam(s) and work them in as soon as possible after the university reopens; please note this could take some time so trying to schedule the exam(s) within the department is strongly suggested.
Semester Exam Request Deadline
Monday 5:00 pm - the Monday before
Tuesday 5:00 pm - the Tuesday before
Wednesday 5:00 pm - the Wednesday before
Thursday 5:00 pm - the Thursday before
Friday 5:00 pm - the Friday before
- If the deadline’s day is a holiday and the University is closed the deadline is then 5:00 pm the workday (Monday through Friday) before.
- If the University is closed due to inclement weather on a deadline’s day exceptions will be made.
- Saturday and Sunday are not considered working days.
- Deadlines begins after the first 7 days of classes each semester.
Final Exam Request Deadline
Friday 5:00 pm - the Friday before the last week of classes
Deadlines during Summer and Winter Session classes vary, please contact the DRC office with questions.
Lindsay Jansen, Student Affairs Staff II - Exam Coordinator
Multidisciplinary Science Building, Suite 407 Disability Resource Center
Lexington KY 40506-0029
(859) 257-2754, fax (859) 257-1980
disability resource center . university of kentucky . multidisciplinary science building . suite 407 . lexington‚ ky . 40536–0082 . V/TDD (859) 257–2754 . fax (859) 257–1980