Introduction to the Common Reading Experience
The University of Kentucky's Common Reading Experience is a collaborative effort amongst New Student and Parent Programs/Student Affairs, Undergraduate Education, and other campus partners designed to introduce new students to academic life at the University. The goal is two-fold: first, to bring new students together for a common reading experience that introduces them to academic discourse prior to the start of classes; and second, to engage the entire UK community in a common intellectual experience through year-long programming.
First-Year students will read a book selected for their cohort the summer before their first semester on campus. They will then join a community of scholars during K Week, where they will participate in small group discussions about the book with other new and upperclass students. The entire UK community is invited to engage in a common academic experience throughout the school year by attending and participating in events coordinated around the book's themes, topics, and issues. All students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to connect with one another through this common intellectual experience which will allow for critical reflection on the book and the collegiate experience.
Faculty Involvement in the Common Reading Experience
There are many ways for faculty to get involved with the Common Reading Experience.
- Adopt the book for your course. We welcome faculty to adopt the Common Reading Experience book into their courses. Let us know if you are interested in integrating the Common Reading Experience book into your class, and we will help you obtain of the text and connect you with some helpful resources.
- Join one of the Common Reading Experience committees. The Common Reading Experience is made possible by the help of faculty, staff, and students across campus. Each year two committees are formed that are comprised of students, staff, and faculty to help plan for the coming academic year.
- Selection Committee: Each year we form a selection committee to choose the Common Reading Experience book for the coming academic year. If you would like more information about joining the Common Reading Experience Selection Committee email us at CommonReading@lsv.uky.edu.
- Programming Committee: After a book has been selected a programming committee is formed to help create curricular and co-curricular programming throughout the academic year that pertains to the book's themes. If you would like more information on joining the Common Reading Experience Programming Committee email us at CommonReading@lsv.uky.edu.
- Get involved with Common Reading Experience events! Check out the calendar of events to see how you can connect with this year's Common Reading Experience.