Photo of Students in Shanghai

Second Language Coursework

The Certificate of Global Studies demonstrates that you have learned how to communicate in a second language by either:

  • completing the third semester of a language sequence (e.g. level 201), or demonstrating comparable proficiency;
  • or completing a single semester of a language not studied in high school, or demonstrating comparable proficiency

Not sure how to "demonstrate comparable proficiency"? If the language you can speak, read, or write is taught at the University of Kentucky, it’s easy: take a test administered by the UKY department or institute (such as an entrance exam).

For other languages, you may use a standardized test such as the SAT, or you can ask someone who is fluent in the language to write a letter describing your skills.

Questions about language abilities? Contact us (

© 2013-2014, Division of Undergraduate Education | The University of Kentucky is an Equal Opportunity University
Last page update: November 11, 2013 | Contact Site Developer