GEAR UP Kentucky 3.0 Academy@UK
June 22, 2014 through July 12, 2014
A College Readiness Program at the University of Kentucky in Partnership with the Council on Postsecondary Education's GEAR UP Kentucky.
The GEAR UP Kentucky 3.0 Academy@UK will prepare GEAR UP Kentucky students academically and personally for college - and not just any college. The Academy@UK aims to prepare Kentuckians for success at the University of Kentucky. Academy@UK will:
1) Introduce high schoolers to at least two of the four University of Kentucky Core Program learning outcomes.
2) Explore the possibility of offering dual-credit courses at some point between Summer 2014 and 2017 - the summer before GUK students enter the University in the first fall.
A Real College Experience
We want this to be a summer of learning and fun for GUK students and their instructors. At the same time, the Academy@UK will run much like a real college experience with courses taught by UK instructors across the curriculum, study groups and co-curricular activities critical for learning at the state's premier research university. By the end of the Summer 2014 3-week residential experience, the GUK3.0 Academy@UK students will demonstrate:
1) increased college readiness by using written, oral and visual communication skills to produce and present original research-based projects;
2) an increase in the academic and professional skills necessary to succeed in college and the workforce such as practicing self-discipline, inclusivity, and civic engagement.
3) appropriate social behavior and self-awareness and be able to express confidence in their ability to succeed in college and navigate the complexities of campus life.
Each of the academic offerings from UK faculty and staff will support and enhance these learning outcomes.
GUK3.0 Academy@UK Courses
Read about the courses here: http://www.uky.edu/UGE/gear-up-courses.html.
Students who successfully complete each of these components of the Academy@UK will be awarded digital badges (http://www.itap.purdue.edu/studio/passport/). A final showcase and dinner will serve as the capstone experience for all GUK students, their family members, instructors and counselors.
Students will be living in a UK Residence Hall (Blanding 4) for three weeks, eating at the Commons Cafe, and taking classes in UK classrooms, laboratories and fine arts rooms. GEAR UP Kentucky will supervise the student development counselors and residence hall advisors who will work with students before and after classes. Regular communications between instructors and GUK staff will take place each day, and the students will be required to journal each evening and reflect in ways that deepen their learning experiences.
The GUK3.0 Academy@UK has been created by multiple colleges and units at UK working together on developing the goals and design of the summer enrichment experience. The Division of Undergraduate Education wishes to thank the deans and faculty of the Colleges of Agriculture, Arts & Sciences, Business & Economics, Communication & Information, Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, Medicine as well as the leadership teams and staff of Enrollment Management, Center for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching, the International Center, Student Affairs, and UK Libraries.
For more information, contact Dr. Randolph Hollingsworth, 859-257-3027 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.