Undergraduate Research Abroad Scholarship (UGRAS)
The Undergraduate Research Abroad Scholarship (UGRAS) is a collaboration between the Office of Undergraduate Research (UGR) and Education Abroad (EA). This scholarship pays up to $5,000 to a University of Kentucky full-time undergraduate student to cover the costs of a well-defined research project abroad during the summer term for approximately 8 weeks. The student applying for the scholarship must be highly recommended by a UK faculty mentor with whom they have already done research. It is assumed the UK faculty mentor will recommend the abroad faculty mentor to the student and help broker the arrangement.
The deadline for ALL materials, including the letter of recommendation, is February 28, 2013
1. A statement of 500 words or fewer of how this research experience will enhance the overall undergraduate experience of the student and how it will contribute to his or her career goals (to be typed or pasted directly in the application form)
2. A 2-3 page project summary to include: (1) name and contact information of all parties involved; (2) project title; (3) hypothesis; (4) background and value of the current study; (5) methods and goal of the research; and (6) general budget. This is to be written by the student, although it is assumed the student will seek some guidance from his or her faculty mentor. This should be a separate document (Microsoft Word or PDF) uploaded into the space provided in the application form.
3. Letter of recommendation from UK faculty mentor (1 page maximum)
4. Letter of support, written in English, from Abroad mentor stating his or her willingness to serve as a mentor on this project (500 word maximum)
5. Selected applicants must interview with a committee.
6. Students must enroll in ISP 599 for 1 credit and will receive the credit upon completion of a final report of
7. Project must be completed by August 15th.
Students - Submit your application and proposal HERE.
UK Faculty - Submit your letter of recommendation HERE.
Abroad Faculty - Submit your letter of support HERE.