Calendar Button myUK button Contact button
Advising Resources

How do I...

Questions about Advising

How do I know who my advisor is? All Undergraduate Studies (US) students are assigned an advisor during their advising conference upon their arrival at UK. Each US student will remain with the assigned advisor until declaration of major, at which time you would be assigned a new advisor in your new college. If you are new to Undergraduate Studies or just want to pose a question, please check in at the front desk in Miller Hall or call our main number, (859) 257-3383. You will be referred to an advisor that can help you

When should I meet with my advisor? The only required advising session is in preparation for Priority Registration. We encourage any new student (freshmen or transfer) to meet with their advisor within the first month of the semester. However, our advisors are available to meet with all US students as needed for various reasons throughout each term. Students should contact their advisor regarding academic concerns, procedural questions, or just general information. There are additional meeting requirements for students on academic probation.

What is an "advisor hold"? An "ADVISOR HOLD" is a registration block placed on a student's record each semester. Prior to being eligible to register, a student is required to meet with their advisor to discuss course recommendations for the upcoming term. Upon completion of that meeting the HOLD will be removed by the advisor making you eligible to register.

How do I make an appointment? Appointments, typically 30 minutes in length, can be made in a variety of ways. Go here for details.

What should I bring to my advising appointment? Being PREPARED makes for a successful and efficient advising session. For an appointment to talk about possible majors, classes, personal or academic concerns, please come prepared with questions and/or other information the advisor might find useful. For a Priority Registration appointment, you need to complete and bring a Registration Worksheet (available in Miller Hall). In advance of this appointment, take time to review the UK Core Program and possible major(s) requirements. Write down your ideas and bring them to the appointment.

Questions about Registration

How do I register? All students can only register online through myUK. All students must first meet with their assigned advisor and have the "advisor hold" lifted to be eligible to register.

When do I register? For new freshman and transfer students the first time you register for classes will be at your advising conference. From that point on, all continuing students register during the approved priority registration period. Priority registration occurs every semester to schedule classes for the following semester. The specific window (days and times) in which you are eligible to register is determined by your total number of earned hours. Hours in which you are currently enrolled do not count in this total. A schedule of the priority registration windows can be found in the schedule book or online.

What is a "wait list"? Some classes offer students the opportunity to place themselves on an electronic list (through myUK) which automatically enrolls that student in a "closed" class only if a seat in the class becomes available. Should a seat become available, a student would be enrolled in the order in which they are on the wait list. Contact the appropriate department for more details.

What are the deadlines for adding or dropping a class? Although the specific dates for these deadlines change each semester, the last day to add a class is generally within the first week of classes. There are two Drop deadlines. The first deadline results in the class not appearing on your transcript while the second will result in a grade of W. A "W" does not calculate into your GPA. Students should always consult the academic calendar in the current schedule book to be certain of these and other important dates.

How can I withdraw from UK? You may cancel your registration before the first day of class by using the myUK portal. To completely withdraw from the University after classes have started you must contact the Registrar's Office, Funkhouser Building, Room 10, immediately. Note that students are only allowed to withdraw up to a certain date. See the academic calendar for the semester in question to find permissable withdrawal dates.

Will dropping a course affect my financial aid? It could. Check with your financial aid counselor with any questions you might have.

What are the differences between being fulltime and part-time student? A course load of 12 hours is the minimum for being considered a full time student. Full time students may have some benefits not available to those carrying less than 12 hours. Financial aid, insurance, and access to some University sponsored events could be affected by how many hours you take in a semester. Check with your advisor with specific concerns that you might have.

Questions About Majors at UK

What is a major? A major is a primary area of study. Every student must fulfill three levels of requirements - UK Core Program (general education), college, and major. The course requirements for each major offered at UK can be found in the University Bulletin or at this link: Major Requirements.

What is a minor? Some students choose to complement their major program with a minor in a related field or even in an entirely different field of interest. A minor is an area of study with less depth than a major, typically ranging from 18-21 credit hours. Minors that are available at UK are described along with academic majors in the University Bulletin. Students interested in pursuing an academic minor should contact the department responsible for the minor program for guidance and advising. Undergraduate Studies students must first declare a major before declaring a minor.

What can I do to help me decide on a major? Your US advisor can assist with this process by helping to identify your strengths, interests and goals. You and your advisor can then discuss your options in the context of academic majors. In addition, as an Undergraduate Studies student, you are encouraged to explore possible areas of interest through the variety of courses found in the UK Core Program. Your US advisor may also refer you to other resources at UK to aid in the decision making process. The James W. Stuckert Career Center and the Counseling and Testing Center offer free services to UK students including individual career counseling, workshops and computer-based career assessments. See your advisor for more information.

Where can I find more on a particular major? A brief description of each academic major can be found in the University Bulletin and on the individual major sheets. Professors are a valuable resource for your questions about a particular major. For questions concerning career possibilities associated with a particular major, the Career Center is an excellent resource for information about potential job markets, salary ranges, and further career exploration.

Questions About Classes, GPA, Probation, and More

What is the University Studies Program (USP)? The University Studies Program (USP) is UK's General Education program. Fulfillment of the USP is required for every degree at UK. As an Undergraduate Studies student, you are encouraged to explore possible areas of interest through the variety of courses found in the USP. For courses available within each USP area of study, you can refer to the UK Bulletin; choose the current Bulletin and look under General Information/ UK Core. Course offerings for each semester are listed on myUK under Registration/ Course Catalog.

Can I substitute another class to count towards a USP requirement? Sometimes. If you have taken a course at UK that is not a designated USP course you can petition the USP Exceptions Committee. If the course was taken elsewhere, first contact the Transfer Equivalency Office in room 124 Funkhouser (Barbara Palmquist (859) 257-9532 or Tracey Doyle, (859) 257-0570) to determine if you should petition the course. Petition forms are available at 109 Miller Hall. To determine if an alternate course will satisfy a college or major requirement, contact the specific college. Discussing this with your advisor beforehand is strongly suggested.

How do I calculate my GPA? Grades are assigned a numerical value (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, and E=0) which is multiplied by the number of credit hours of the course to calculate quality points. Your grade point average is calculated by adding the number of quality points and dividing it by the number of quality hours taken that semester. For a sample GPA calculation, see the Registrar's GPA calculator, under "How to Figure Your GPA." You may also run a sample GPA calculation for yourself on that page.

Can I repeat a course to improve my grade? Yes. A student has the option to repeat once as many as 3 different courses in which he/she received a grade of B, C, D, or E. This is called a Repeat Option. Only the grade, credit hours and quality points of the second completion will be used in calculating the GPA, provided the student has made a specific request through a Repeat Option form (available in 109 Miller Hall for US students). A limit of three repeat options may be filed during your entire undergraduate career. The student must be enrolled at the time the repeat option form is filed. Ask your advisor for all the details regarding repeating a class.

What does academic probation mean? You are placed on probation if your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 OR you have two consecutive term GPAs below 2.0 (even if your cumulative GPA stays above a 2.0). While on probation, Undergraduate Studies students are required to meet monthly with their academic advisor and complete a probation contract. If you achieve a 2.0 or better in the next term and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater you will be removed from probation. However, you will be "subject to suspension" if you do not achieve a 2.0 or greater during this time OR have three consecutive terms with your cumulative GPA remaining below a 2.0.

What if I get suspended from UK? You will be subject to suspension from UK if: * You have three consecutive UK terms in which your cumulative GPA remains below 2.0; * You fail to earn a 2.0 term GPA for any term while on probation; or * Your GPA is below 0.6 after your first term, if the semester's GPA is based on at least 9 hours of grades, A, B, C, D, or E. If you are suspended, you must remain out of UK for at least a semester and summer before applying for reinstatement.

What tutoring services are available at UK? Academic Enhancement, located in The Study at the University of Kentucky, provides a variety of resources in one central location to guide students to more effective learning. Click on the Academic Enhancement site for tutoring a study skills information.

Where do I go if I have a dispute about a grade or a conflict with an instructor? The Academic Ombud mediates academic grievances and complaints about instructors, staff or administrators. A confidential consultation with the Ombud's office can be arranged by calling (859) 257-3737, visiting 109 Bradley Hall, or emailing OMBUD@UKY.EDU

What does it mean to take a course pass/fail? Undergraduate students above the freshman level and not on academic probation may select a maximum of four elective courses, with certain restrictions, to be taken on a Pass-Fail basis. Credit hours successfully completed under this option will count toward graduation but will not be used in calculating grade-point standing. Courses offered only on a Pass-Fail basis (i.e. UK 101) shall not be included in the maximum number of elective courses which a student may take under these provisions.

Social Networking Icons© 2012 - 2013 UK | Undergraduate Studies. The University of Kentucky is an Equal Opportunity University
Contact Webmaster | Last site update: October 19, 2015
Some files on the site require the use of Adobe reader. You may download it here.


Home Announcements Contact UG Home UK Home US Facebook Link to the US Twitter page Link to Undergraduate Studies Home Facebook page