Calendar Button myUK button Contact button
Transfer Advising Services

Transfer Student FAQs

>> What are the admission criteria for transfer students? Students transferring to the University of Kentucky with 24 or more credit hours need to have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA in all coursework attempted, as well as a 2.0 GPA in there last school of attendance. Individuals whose cumulative GPA is above a 2.0 due to repeat options and/or academic bankruptcies will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Students transferring to the University of Kentucky with 23 or fewer credit hours need to meet the Freshman eligibility requirements.

>> How do I apply for admission? The application deadline for undergraduate admission for transfer students is August 1st for the Fall semester and December 1st for the Spring semester. For a students' application to be complete, the office of admissions needs an application for admission, official high school transcript, official transcripts from all colleges attended, and a $50 application fee. Once your application is complete, you can expect a response within two to three weeks. NOTE: If you will 23 or fewer hours, you will also need to provide official ACT/SAT results.

>> How do I arrange a campus visit? The UK Visitor Center is open year-round so that students can visit our campus at their convenience. To arrange a campus visit, you can call the Visitor Center at (859) 257-3595 or schedule your visit online at the visitor center. Advanced notice of at least two weeks helps our Visitor Center staff arrange the most worthwhile visit, which could include a campus tour, an appointment with an admissions representative, and an appointment with an academic advisor. A special session for transfer students is available every third Wednesday at 1 pm (see the link for dates) You can visit the visitor center for more information.

>> How do I find out which credits will transfer? The best way to get an idea of credit transferability to is check on the Transfer Equivalency Database. You will receive official confirmation of the course equivalencies after you have been accepted and your transcript evaluated.

>> How do I apply for financial aid? In order to receive financial assistance at the University of Kentucky, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form which you can access at The University of Kentucky's Title IV code is 001989. For more information, please visit

>> Does my GPA from my previous college transfer to UK? No. Previous GPAs do not transfer to UK. When a student enrolls at UK, a new GPA is established after the first semester of classes. However, all grades, all courses, and all previously attended institutions are counted in the admission process. Also, for UK Colleges that require selective admission criteria for pre-major coursework, the grade from other institutions will be utilized for the pre-major GPA.

>> When do I register for classes? All students are required to attend an advising conference prior to the start of the semester you enroll. You will need to register for the advising conference after activating your Link Blue account, which will be explained to you in your acceptance letter. During the advising conference, you will meet with an academic advisor, register for classes, and have the opportunity to learn more about the campus. Students also have the opportunity to take certain placement exams and meet with UK faculty, staff and other students. You can find out more information about the advising conferences at

>> Are scholarships available for transfer students? Yes, the Trustee's Scholarship Program from Transfer Students has established scholarships specific to transfer students. The Tier 1 and Tier 2 scholarships are designated specifically for KCTCS transfers, while the Tier 3 scholarship is available for transfers from any accredited institution. For more information on these scholarships, visit the Trustee's Scholarship Program at

>> As a transfer student, what are my on-campus housing options? Undergraduate Housing provides on campus housing for traditional undergraduate students in 22 residence halls and one apartment complex (the Greg Page Undergraduate Apartments are reserved for UK upperclassmen and BCTC Students). Most rooms are doubles so you can expect to have a roommate. A small number of single (private), triple (3 students) and quadruple (4 students) rooms are also available. Undergraduate Housing is available during the academic year and is billed each semester through Student Billings with your tuition and fees. Housing during summer school is also offered. Undergraduate and graduate students who are unmarried and wish to live in the residence halls may apply for Undergraduate Housing.

>> Are transfer students able to participate in the Education Abroad Program? YES! Transfer students must have a sophomore or higher standing and successfully complete a semester at UK before participating in an Education Abroad program. Interested students should attend an Information and Discussion of Education Abroad (IDEA) session as early as possible to learn more. IDEA sessions are held in room 207 Bradley Hall ("the building with the flags") every Wednesday and Thursday from 3-4 pm during the fall and spring semesters. UK students have a world of opportunities. Where do YOU want to go? or email 257-4067 x 252

>> How do I apply for "in-state" residency status? Please visit for a residency application or call the Residency Office at (859) 257-3256 for more information.

>> What majors does UK offer? The University of Kentucky offers over 125 majors and pre-professional plans. Visit for a complete listing.

>> How big are the classes at UK? As is typical of most universities, class size will range from a seminar of 5-10 students to a lecture class of 300. Ninety percent of classes have 40 or fewer students. The mean class size is 25, and the student to faculty ratio is 17.6:1. If a student does have a large class, that class often breaks down into much smaller lab or discussion sections so that the students receive a more personalized classroom experience.

>> What types of clubs and organizations are there to join? There are over 350 different clubs and organizations on campus for students to join. They include professional, service, religious, and social organizations, and most are open to all students. Getting involved on campus is a great way both to enhance your undergraduate experience and to prepare you for life after college. Visit for more information. Two organizations in the works specifically for transfer student are Tau Sigma, and transfer student honor's society, and a Transfer Student Association group.

>> Can transfer students participate in the Honors program? Yes, transfer students may apply to the honors program through the middle of their junior year. Eligible students must complete an application, which consists of several questions and brief essays designed to elicit a sense of the individual's experience and commitment to academic excellence. The selection committee looks for students of demonstrated achievement, as indicated by a college GPA of 3.0 or above. The University's Honors Program offers outstanding students, especially those interested in developing independent and critical thinking skills, a special program and a special identity within the framework of the larger institution. The program includes four seminars in the history of ideas, tracing the development of Western civilization from antiquity to the present and providing the basis for a liberal arts education. Also included are upper-class proseminars and an optional independent research project. For more information, visit


Social Networking Icons© 2012 - 2013 UK | Undergraduate Studies. The University of Kentucky is an Equal Opportunity University
Contact Webmaster | Last site update: September 23, 2014
Some files on the site require the use of Adobe reader. You may download it here.


Home Announcements Contact UG Home UK Home US Facebook Link to the US Twitter page Link to Undergraduate Studies Home Facebook page