Thank you for visiting this site and encouraging your student to become a college graduate!
If you are the parent or guardian of a student who wants to go college, you can find helpful information about getting into college at http://www.knowhow2goky.org
Also check out the resources at http://www.firstinthefamily.org and http://www.firstgenerationstudent.com/.
If your student is the first member of your family to attend college, he or she is likely to face some unique challenges. Here are some helpful things you can do to ensure your student succeeds at the University of Kentucky:
- Take a campus tour and attend a summer advising conference with your student.
- Become familiar with campus resources and encourage your student to take advantage of those resources. For more information visit, Student Success.
- Asking for help in college is a sign of strength not weakness or shame. Encourage your student to visit The Study to meet with a learning consultant or Student Support Services to seek a tutor.
- Encourage your student to meet with their professors or teaching assistants during faculty office hours. All professors have office hours for meeting with students outside of class time.
- Come to campus for family weekend and visit often versus expecting your student to come home every weekend.
- Consider joining our Parent and Family association. They have an email list and a great newsletter: http://www.uky.edu/StudentAffairs/ParentAssociation