The application deadline is Thursday, January 22, 2015 by 4:00 p.m.
Applicants are required to submit the following information:
- A completed Applicant Information Form.
- A curriculum vitae (resume) highlighting your academic and community achievements.
- A brief, well articulated answer (no more than 800 words) to one of two essay questions.
- Two letters of recommendation (you are strongly urged to submit the two recommendation letters in sealed, signed envelopes along with your application materials). Recommendation letters should come from people who know you well, preferably University of Kentucky professors, selected not by department but for knowledge of your qualities of mind and person.
- Unofficial college transcript. Save and print a PDF of your UK transcript from MyUK. If you have attended other colleges or universities, we will accept Xeroxed copies of official or unofficial transcripts from those institutions.
You may submit your application online here (including your curriculum vitae, essay, and transcript)
You may fill out and print the application available in the "documents" section below.
Students considering application to the Gaines Fellowship Program are invited to attend an informational meeting, where you will hear about the program and get tips for making a strong application from the staff of the Gaines Center and current Gaines Fellows.
November TBA, Light refreshments will be served.
Can't make the info session above? Don't hesitate to contact the Gaines Center for an appointment (859) 257-1537. We look forward to talking with you!
The application deadline is Thursday, January 22, 2015 by 4:00 p.m. All parts of the application must be submitted by that time.
Notification of initial screening results will be emailed to all applicants by mid February 2015.
Individual interviews with selected candidates will be held between mid February and early March 2015. Members of the Gaines Fellowship Advisory Committee will conduct 30-minute interviews at the Bingham Davis House (218 East Maxwell Street), Gaines Center for the Humanities. If you are invited for an interview, you will be given more information about the nature of the interview when you make your appointment.
All candidates will be notified of the selection results in writing in mid March 2015.
Tips and Hints
- Stop by the office if you have any questions.
- All majors are encouraged to apply. There have been Gaines fellows selected from virtually every college at UK.
- The Gaines Fellowship is an opportunity to expand one's horizons.
- Gaines Fellows win a disproportionate amount of external scholarships won by UK students. Applicants are strongly encouraged to look at these programs!
- If you have any questions, ask a current fellow. They have been through the process before, and will be more than willing to give you pointers on how to apply!