Camp and Field Trip Insurance 

Excess Accident Medical 


Property Insurance

State and Tornado Insurance Fund

Fire and EC Station

Inland Marine Station

Telephone Certificate 

Computer Policy 

Camp and Field Trip Insurance

Excess Accident Medical

For a full understanding of the coverage and procedures please review the following items: 

Camper Forms - Medical Information, Parent/Guardian Authorization and Consent

For those of you who sponsor and supervise weeklong camps or activities lasting over a week, there are camper forms you should have the campers (parents or guardians if under age 18) complete and return to you prior to participation in the camp. 

Also included are the new claims process and the required excess claim form. The completed information will enable you to take the injured camper to a medical facility for treatment and facilitate their billing process to the camper's primary health insurer. Our insurance provides a safety net for deductibles, co-payments and for those injured campers who do not have health insurance. 

For UK sponsored and supervised field trips (especially the one-day variety) completion of the camper forms might be unduly burdensome. It is still important that you make all participants aware that their personal health insurance is primary. You should require each participant to either bring their insurance card or a copy of the front and back and (if they are under age 18) signed consent for medical treatment by the parent or legal or legal guardian. 

NOTE: To request this coverage for your camp/activity, you must use the required Request For Excess Medical/Accident Insurance Form. If you have any questions please contact Linda Rookard at Linda Rookard or (859) 257-3708.

Claims Process

Explanation of New Claims Processing 

University of Kentucky Camps Insurance Program 

Part I of the Claim Form should be completed by the Camp Director or other Supervisor. This section of the Claim Form simply documents to the Insurer that an accident or illness has occurred. A copy of the claim form should be kept at the camp for their records. Once Section I is completed by the Camp Director or Supervisor, the form should be given to the camper for completion. Please note: the Claim Form should not be given to the camper until expenses are incurred. 

Part II of the Claim Form should be completed by the camper/claimant or his/her parents. The information given in this section is very important because it will drive the rest of the claims process. If the camper/claimant has primary insurance, copies of the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) forms need to be included with the completed claim form and fully itemized medical bills. 

  • If the camper/claimant does not have primary insurance, no EOB will be available. Therefore, just the completed claim form and copies of fully itemized medical bills need to be sent to the Claims Processor, AGIA. Please note: Make sure to instruct the camper/claimant that balance due bills are not acceptable in lieu of itemized medical bills.
  • The Authorization to Release Information and Payment Authorization contained within Part II of the Claim Form must be signed by the parent or camper/claimant before the claim form is mailed to AGIA. 

Part III of the Claim Form does not need to be completed by the Physician or Provider if EOB's are included. If the Cigna Plan is Primary, a physician must complete Part III.

As referenced above, once the Claim Form has been completed and authorized, the Claim Form, fully itemized medical bills (and EOB's if applicable) should be sent to AGIA at the address listed at the top of page one of the Claim Form. As soon as a Dedicated Claims Examiner has been assigned to the plan, his or her name and number will be made available to you in the event of a question on the status of a specific claim. 

All University of Kentucky Sponsored and Supervised Camps, Field Trips, Seminars have available Excess Accident Medical Insurance. Not all camps, field trips, and other activities are eligible to be insured by the University. In order to be eligible, an activity must meet both of the following conditions:

  1. The activity must be sponsored by the University and supervised by University personnel. That is, some department of the University must take responsibility for the organization, hosting, and (usually) funding of the activity. Student organization activities, or activities held on University property but sponsored by an outside organization, do not meet this condition, and are not eligible for insurance.
  2. The activity must meet at least one of the following criteria:
    • Summer camp 
    • Sports activity 
    • Out-of-state field trip 
    • Involves participants that are under the age of 18 
    • It is not any of the above, but it exposes participants to a risk of injury that is not ordinarily present in an academic setting. Examples: A rock climbing trip, snow ski trip, or a carpentry workshop involving the use of power tools. 

Summary of Coverage

Insurance coverage is on an excess basis only. The participant's personal health insurance policy will be primary and provide coverage for accident and sickness. The excess policy will cover any out-of-pocket expense not paid by the participant's personal insurance up to the limits of the policy listed below. (This includes payment of the deductible and coinsurance amounts if applied under the participant's personal policy.) The sickness medical expense will be limited to $500 on an excess basis. The benefit period is one year. The first expense must be incurred within 60 days of the accident or sickness. If the participant does not have personal health insurance coverage, this excess policy will pay first dollar, up to the limits of this policy. Pre-existing conditions are not covered. A pre-existing condition is any condition for which a prudent person should have sought treatment or was treated in the previous six months.

Coverage Benefits and Limits

Item Amount/Comment
Accident Medical Expense (Excess) $50,000
Accident Dental Expense (Excess) Included
Deductible  Nil
Sickness Medical Expense (Excess) $500
Deductible Nil
AD&D and Paralysis, Principal Sum $15,000
Benefit Period One Year
Effective Date  1/1/16

Rate Per Camper Per Day

Camp Amount
4H Camps, Week Long $ .35
4H Camps, 2 Days $ .24
Sports Camps $ .52
Misc. Camps/Trips $ .22
Football Camp (Per Week) $9.50


Property Insurance

Fire and EC Station 

Fire and EC section (Required by Chapter 56, KRS 56.065 through KRS 56.170)

Insures state-owned buildings and/or contents on a July 1 fiscal year basis, and provides All Risks-Special Form coverage for direct physical loss including earthquake and flood. The buildings and contents are currently insured on a Replacement Cost basis with a $5,000 deductible applicable per occurrence.

All Risks Special Form coverage is provided and includes theft, water-damage, and breakage. All contents that remain in a designated building, that have been included in the total value reported for that building, are now automatically provided All Risks coverage. Values are primarily obtained from capitalized inventory records and are scheduled according to official UK building number assignments. This coverage excludes computer and telephone coverage, which is insured on a separate certificate and outside policy. Contents that do not remain in a designated building are not insured.

Additional Coverage

Debris Removal; Preservation of Property; Fire Department Service Charge; Pollutant Clean Up and Removal; Collapse (limited).(Excludes: Computer and Telephone Equipment)


Inland Marine Station

The State Fire and Tornado Insurance Fund offers optional All Risk Inland Marine Coverage. Computer and telephone is not available under this section. This is currently on a Replacement Cost Basis with a $5,000 deductible applicable per occurrence. Departments may decide to take advantage of this additional coverage because the basic contents insurance does not provide coverage for:

  • Owned items valued over $5,000 that do not remain in inventory designated building.
  • Short-term coverage (exhibits, etc.)
  • Transit coverage
  • Non-owned items

In order to obtain coverage, according to the State's requirement, we obtain from departments requesting the coverage, a categorized list including: insured value, description, UK property number, serial number, model number, location, and ownership. Departments may maintain coverage during the year by written request for any necessary changes to their list. At the beginning of each policy year a new list is required. Premiums are recharged to department account numbers. 


Telephone Certificate

Telephone Equipment and Systems

Coverage for Telephone equipment and systems is available on a separate State Fire and Tornado Insurance Fund Certificate of Insurance. Coverage provided is All Risk with a $5,000 deductible applicable per occurrence.

Values are primarily obtained by direct communication with full description and backup of purchase documents provided by the department requesting coverage. For those systems inventoried as telephone equipment, values are obtained by Risk Management and insured on the Telephone Certificate. For those items not included on the inventory records coverage must be added by departmental request to Risk Management with full description and backup of purchase documents.


Computer Policy

Computer Equipment

Computers and related equipment are currently insured for "All Risk" coverage on a replacement cost basis with the State Fire and Tornado Insurance Fund.  Coverage provided is All Risk with a $5,000 deductible applicable per occurrence.

Coverage is provided on a blanket basis for owned and inventoried computer equipment and includes $200,000 transit coverage, $750,000 for extra expenses incurred due to the loss and up to $500,000 automatic coverage for newly acquired equipment. For premium purposes values are obtained from capitalized inventory records and are scheduled according to official UK building number assignments.