The goal of the University of Kentucky is to provide appropriate access to academic courses for students desiring to continue their education without seeking a degree. Non degree status affords an opportunity for individuals to pursue lifelong learning without the structure of degree-seeking status and is consistent with the educational mission of the University.
There are three types of non-degree students at the University of Kentucky. The first two types, visiting and high school dual enrollment students, are degree-seeking at other institutions. The third type is not seeking a degree from any institution at the time of enrollment
- Visiting Students – A visiting student is a student that is currently enrolled at another institution of higher education who intends to earn credit at UK that will be applied to degree requirements at his or her home institution. Visiting students must meet the same admission requirements as regular transfer students. Applicants will be asked to self-certify that they are in good standing at their home institution and have a minimum 2.00 GPA at the time of application.
- High School Students Seeking Dual Enrollment – Students currently enrolled in high school who desire to enroll in courses at UK must submit a high school transcript, ACT or SAT scores and provide a signature from a high school counselor or principal. Students must have a minimum 2.00 GPA and must meet the Kentucky Council on Post-Secondary Education college readiness indicators.
- Other Non-Degree Students – These students are not currently enrolled in a degree program at a high school, college or university, but wish to take undergraduate coursework at the University of Kentucky without pursuing a formal degree. Applicants will be asked to self-certify that they have obtained a high school diploma, GED or meet the Kentucky Council on Post-Secondary Education college readiness indicators. Students wishing to change to degree-seeking status at the University of Kentucky after enrolling as a non-degree student must apply using the same application process as those who want to be considered degree seeking.
Apply Online Now!
Other Student Types
- International Students
- Degree Seeking Freshmen Students
- Degree Seeking Transfer Students
- Readmitted Students
- Donovan Fellowships for Adults 65 and older
- UK Application for Undergraduate Admission
- Non-Refundable Application Processing Fee: Attach $50 in cash, check, or money order made payable to the University of Kentucky. Full-time UK employees applying to take classes and who submit a copy of their UK staff card are not required to pay the processing fee.
- Transcripts: Students who will be visiting (transient) students at UK may submit either an official transcript from their home institution OR a letter of good standing from their home institution’s Registrar’s Office. Students who have already earned a college degree are not required to submit a transcript in order to enroll at UK in a non-degree seeking status.
- Other documentation may be required. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at (866) 900-4685 for more information.