Advising Network History
The University of Kentucky Advising Network was created as a place for advisors to hone their craft and develop professionally. In 1986, Kate Johnson and Ken Freedman returned from a NACADA Regional conference in Louisville and decided UK needed to develop a network for evening and weekend advisors to communicate with colleagues in other colleges. They felt strongly that this network should not be restricted to professional advisors but be a place where professional and faculty advisors from across campus could come together.
In the summer of 1986, Kate’s idea became a reality as she, Ken Freedman, Debra Englert, Mary Sue Hoskins and Jane Johnson met to create the UK advising network. The network grew and Ken Freedman led the network into the 1990’s eventually developing the first outstanding advisor award in 1994, which bears his name today. In 2001, Ken Freedman passed away and the Advising Network’s loose organization began to impact its effectiveness.
In 2003, then Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education Phil Kraemer urged the network to adopt by-laws to codify the organization. Joanne Davis, Suanne Early, Cindy Iten and Susan Skees were instrumental in developing those by-laws and the modern day structure of the network.
Academic advising is integral to fulfilling the teaching and learning mission of higher education. Through academic advising, students learn to become members of their higher education community, to think critically about their roles and responsibilities as students, and to prepare to be educated citizens of a democratic society and a global community.
The following individuals have chaired the UK Advising Network (since by-laws were adopted in 2003)
- 2003-2004: Joanne Davis, College of Nursing
- 2004-2005: Deborah Englert, Gatton College of Business & Economics
- 2005-2006: Kelly Crume, Undergraduate Studies
- 2006-2007: Suanne Early, Undergraduate Studies
- 2007-2008: Joanne Davis, College of Nursing
- 2008-2009: Mike Shanks, Enrollment Management & University Registrar
- 2009-2010: Erica Caton, College of Arts & Sciences
- 2010-2011: Matthew Deffendall, Undergraduate Education
- 2011-2012: Susan Skees, College of Agriculture
- 2012-2013: Matt Waitkus, Gatton College of Business & Economics
- 2013-2014: Abby Hollander, Education Abroad
- 2014-2015: Susan Herrick, Undergraduate Studies
- 2015-2016: Jamie Dunn, College of Agriculture
- 2016-2017: Summer Eglinski, Gatton College of Business and Economics