Academic Policies

Academic Bankruptcy

University of Kentucky Bulletin: “Undergraduate students who have been readmitted through the proper channels after an interruption of two or more continuous years, and who have completed at least one fulltime semester or 12 hours with a GPA of 2.0 or higher, beginning with the semester of readmission, may choose to have none of their previous University coursework counted toward graduation and in the computation of their GPAs.” Students must not be enrolled in the University of Kentucky for a minimum of a two year period in order to be eligible to apply for bankruptcy. Enrollment in another institution during the two year period does not prohibit a student from applying for bankruptcy at the University of Kentucky. Once readmitted, the student must complete at least 12 credit hours with at least a 2.0 GPA prior to filing for bankruptcy. Students who do not achieve a 2.0 GPA after re-admittance can still apply for bankruptcy once they have achieved a 2.0 GPA. The rule simply requires the student to have completed at least 12 hours. This option in essence allows a student to “wipe the slate clean” and start their GPA over. In most cases the individual colleges will allow a student to keep credits earned while not computing the past grades in the student’s overall GPA. This option is available to any student who has sat out the required time regardless of whether they had previously been suspended or chose to leave the University on their own. While students choose whether to invoke bankruptcy, it is up to the Dean or the designee of each college to determine if any previous earned credit shall count toward graduation. Selective admissions colleges may choose to use past grades in specific classes when calculating admissions to a specific program. Each college should be contacted individually to determine how bankruptcy is handled. Additional Academic Bankruptcy specifics: 1. Part time students may take advantage of this option after they complete at least 12 hours of coursework with a minimum GPA of at least 2.0 upon their return. 2. All eligible coursework taken upon return to the university must be taken for a letter grade. 3. If a student has completed a degree and re enrolls he/she may not use the Academic Bankruptcy Option. 4. Academic Bankruptcy may only be used once. 5. If a student reenrolls after the required 2 year interruption, then withdraws from all of their classes, this will void the eligibility for Bankruptcy for an additional two years. 6. The student should consult with the dean or the dean’s designee when considering his/her individual Academic Bankruptcy. 7. If transfer coursework is applied to the University of Kentucky cumulative GPA during the period being considered for bankruptcy, it too will be bankrupted. 8. Note that this option is specific to the University of Kentucky. If a student were to transfer to another school before completing a degree at UK, the receiving institution may not recognize the bankruptcy. 9. Once a student completes a degree from the University of Kentucky and decides to apply to a professional college (i.e. law school, medical school, graduate school, etc.), the professional college may not accept the bankruptcy.

Academic Probation and Suspension

The academic status of a student is determined by his or her term GPA after each term, in conjunction with his or her cumulative UK GPA. A student may be in Good Standing, on Probation, or on Academic Suspension (which could be just from his/her college, and/or from the University entirely). The statuses of Good Standing and Probation are automatically generated in the SAP system based on end-of-term grades after progression, as is the status ‘Eligible for Suspension’. This last placeholder status involves the college’s input, as the college’s designee must decide whether to keep the student on Probation, which will limit the number of hours in which the student may enroll in the following term, or to suspend the student, which means the student will be dropped from any courses in which he or she has registered for the following term, and will not be permitted to register at UK for at least two terms. (The Summer Sessions are considered one term for the purposes of this determination.) A student is not permitted to remain in the ‘Eligible for Suspension’ status into the following term. The college must make a determination regarding their academic status-this is subject to the judgment of the college’s designee.

If the student has been placed on Probation (either automatically by the system, or if Probation has been assigned to a student who is ‘Eligible for Suspension’), then he or she may be limited to taking 15 credit hours for the following Fall or Spring semester.

University Bulletin Explanation of Academic Status:

Academic Probation

Students are placed on probation if:

  1. Their cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) falls below 2.0. Students on probation for this reason who achieve a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher shall be removed from probation.
  2. They have two consecutive UK academic terms with term GPAs below 2.0 regardless of their cumulative GPA. Students who achieve a 2.0 or better in the next term and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher will be removed from probation.

Academic Suspension

Students are suspended if:

  1. They fail to earn a 2.0 term GPA for any term while on probation;
  2. They have three consecutive UK terms in which their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0;


  1. Their GPA is below 0.6 after their first term, if the semester’s GPA is based on at least 9 hours of grades, A, B, C, D, or E.

Notwithstanding the provisions above, in the case of a student eligible for suspension, the dean of the student’s college may continue a student on academic probation if the individual case so justifies with notification to the Director of Undergraduate Studies.

General Rules Pertaining to Students under Academic Suspension

A student academically suspended from the University may not enroll in any courses offered by the University nor take any special examination for University credit. Students already enrolled in correspondence course(s) will be allowed to complete the course work upon notification of his/her suspension.

A student academically suspended from the University a second time shall not be readmitted to the University except in unusual circumstances and then only upon recommendation of the dean of the college in which the student plans to enroll and approval of the University Senate Council.

Once reported to the Registrar, an academic suspension may be rescinded by the dean only in the event of an error in the determination of the student’s eligibility for suspension, an official grade change that alters the student’s suspension eligibility, or exceptional circumstances.

Progression and the Academic Status Report

Progression is the process by which the SAP system consolidates all grades assigned to students for a given term at UK, which are then used to generate reports such as the Dean’s List and the Academic Status Report. Usually within a few days of the last day for instructors of record to submit grades for their courses, the Registrar’s Office will run progression for all active students’ academic records. This calculates earned hours and GPA’s for all students with enrollment in the just-completed term. The subsequent Academic Status Report, which is accessible through myUK, then lists three categories of students, based on changes in their UK academic status from the start of the term: those who have moved from Probation to Good Standing, those who have moved from Good Standing to Probation, and those who have moved from Probation and (in the case of first-term freshmen) Good Standing to Eligible for Suspension. (Care should be taken in reviewing term records to ensure there are no Incomplete or unassigned grades, as subsequent grade assignment could very well change a student’s academic status for the term in question.)

Students in the Eligible for Suspension category must then be assessed by the designee in the student’s college to determine whether the student will be permitted to continue on academic probation or whether he or she will be suspended from the University. The designee may consider extenuating circumstances surrounding the student’s situation which might weigh on the decision whether to suspend. Here are some examples:

  • The student is in the process of retroactively withdrawing from the last, or previous, term(s).
  • The student is planning to transfer to a college or major at UK with lower GPA graduation requirements (especially if merely achieving Good Standing meets the requirements).
  • The student is transferring to another University.
  • The student’s academic performance is improving steadily, and he or she has a reasonable expectation of completing current degree requirements.

Reviewing GPA Calculation

Grade Point Average (GPA) is, of course, a general measure of how well a student is doing in his or her courses; however, not all of the hours a student has earned contribute to that student’s cumulative UK GPA. Courses taken pass/fail, transfer credit (excluding KCTCS courses applied to the student record spring 2007 or before), Incomplete grades, duplicate credit (i.e., non-repeatable courses which have been taken and later repeated at UK without filing a repeat option), courses affected by academic bankruptcy, and remedial courses not taken for University credit are not calculated into official University GPA’s. Any course credit taken at UK for a letter grade which does not fit into any of the above categories constitutes quality hours. So the number of a student’s career earned hours is often completely different from his or her total number of quality hours.

Each letter grade is assigned a point value: an A is worth 4 points, B = 3 points, C = 2 points, D = 1 point, and E = zero points (exceptions to the grading scale point assignment include College of Design and Agriculture-Landscape Architecture major). Courses in which students have earned an ‘E’ are considered quality hours, even though no hours were earned.  Quality points for a grade are found by multiplying the number of credit hours of a course by the point value of the letter grade. For example, if a student earns a B in a three credit-hour course at UK, the student has earned 3 x 3 = 9 quality points for that course.

The GPA is then calculated by dividing a student’s total ‘quality points’ by ‘quality hours’. Here’s an example of a typical student term from an unofficial UK transcript, showing how both the term GPA and cumulative GPA are calculated by multiplying quality hours (QHRS) by grade point values to get quality points (QPTS), and then QPTS/QHRS = GPA:

Quality Deficit Points

In cases where a student is in the Eligible for Suspension category, the Academic Status Report shows ‘quality deficit points’, which measures how near (or far) a student is from being in Good Standing with the University. So in cases where the student’s cumulative UK GPA is below a 2.0, quality deficit points can help in making the decision whether to suspend a student. The quality deficit is the difference between the student’s total number of quality points, and the number of quality points the student would have required during his/her career to attain the 2.0 GPA for Good Standing. 

A UK student with 46 total quality hours would have needed 92 quality points to be in Good Standing; however, if this student has earned only 74 quality points during his or her career (which works out to a 1.609 cumulative GPA), she has 18 deficit points (the 92 quality points needed for Good Standing minus the 74 she earned). Generally 15 deficit points, regardless of how many quality hours a student has, is a decent starting standard for whether academic suspension is in the student’s best interests. Also, of course, the further along a student is in his academic career, the more difficult it becomes for him to raise the GPA substantially.

It should be noted that a student may be eligible for suspension, but not have quality deficit points. This would occur for a student who has three consecutive term GPAs below a 2.0. While their overall GPA may be above a 2.0, earning a term GPA below a 2.0 while on University probation, makes a student eligible for suspension.

Assigning Academic Status in SAP

All students with an Eligible for Suspension status must be changed to either Probation or Academic Suspension through the student’s record in SAP. Ideally this change will be made prior to the start of the next term. Please see the link below to access directions on how to change the eligible for suspension status.

What Next?

The advisor, either directly or through the college’s appointed office, notifies electronically and/or by letter the student of the change in academic status as early as is possible. This enables the student to adjust his or her plans accordingly, and in colleges which have suspension appeals processes, allows the student sufficient time to assemble evidence for the appeal. Some colleges also have required follow-up programming for first-term probation students. In the case of suspension, the student is also informed that any course registration for the next term has been dropped from his or her academic record. In notifying the student, the advisor or college should make clear the student’s next steps—that taking courses at a community college, or even time off from academics altogether, might be in the student’s best interests. Academic suspension is not a punishment, but an opportunity for the student to take stock of his or her future plans.

*Here is the picture it needs where is says “Here is an example…” Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

All university employees are bound by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) as it relates to the collection and release of student information. Per the Registrar’s office:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that protects the privacy and confidentiality of personally identifiable information contained within student education records. The University of Kentucky complies with FERPA's confidentiality protections and adheres to procedures dealing with student education records and directory information recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. This law applies to K-12 as well as postsecondary education and is commonly known as the Buckley Amendment.

Frequently asked questions:

  • What does a privacy flag on a student’s record mean?
    • Faculty/Staff may release NO information regarding the student. Your response should be that “we have no record of an individual by that name” – even if it is parent asking or the student is a public figure (ex. star athlete, etc.).
  • What can/cannot I tell a parent?
    • Nothing beyond directory information and that assumes there is no privacy flag on the student’s record. A student may provide a signed release of information that should provide the information that is permitted to be released and to whom.
  • What rights do parents and/or spouses have under FERPA?
    • None, unless the student provides signed, written consent that specified information may be released to a specified individual(s).
  • Minors and information release.
    • FERPA rights transfer to the student at the age of 18 or at the point of enrollment in an institution of higher education, whichever comes first.
  • Can I share if I’m a student’s Academic Advisor? Or, who is their Academic Advisor?
    • If it is not listed as directory information or unless the student provides signed, written consent, the piece of information may not be released.
  • Can I share if I have met with a student in an advising conference?
    • No, unless the student has provided signed, written consent.
  • Can I share academic standing? Grades?
    • No, unless the student has provided signed, written consent.
  • Can I share a student’s schedule?
    • No, unless the student has provided signed, written consent.
    • This extends beyond just privacy; it is an issue of student safety.
  • Can I share if the student enrolled?
    • Yes, unless the student has a privacy flag.
  • When can I share about university admissions?
    • An individual is not a student until the first day of classes for the term in which the individual is first enrolled. Depending on the time, this information can be released. However, allow the appropriate admissions office to release an individual’s admission status. You don’t want to provide incorrect information.
  • Can I share information after a student is graduated?
    • No, FERPA extends for the life of the individual.
  • Can I share information with faculty/staff?
    • Yes, IF the other employee has a legitimate educational interest (i.e. the information is required to perform the standard functions of their job).
  • Can I give a student’s address, phone number and/or email address?
    • Directory information can be provided to anyone, if the student does not have a privacy flag.
  • Who can sign a consent/release form? How is this done?
    • Only the student may sign a consent to release information form.
    • If a student would like to grant an individual(s) access to his/her academic record and progress, download the Consent for Release form, complete it and submit it to the Registrar’s Office (10 Funkhouser).
  • Can I share financial information with someone who is paying the student’s bill?
    • This is the student’s record/account and the student has the responsibility to ensure they pay charges to their account. It matters not where the money comes from. Paying a bill does not provide a third party access to the student record.
  • What can be shared in a letter of recommendation?
    • Only the information expressly stated on a request signed by the student or sent from their UK email account.

Faculty and grades

  • DO NOT display student scores or grades publicly in association with names, social security numbers (in whole or in part), UK student ID number, student user ID or other personally identifiable information. If scores or grades are posted, use only a coding method agreed upon mutually by the entire class, a method which does not include personally identifiable information and is randomly generated and assigned. Only the student and instructor should know the identification code provided for each student. The list should be randomly generated, i.e., displayed in such a way that it does not appear in alphabetical order.
  • DO NOT leave stacked graded papers, assignments or exams for students to pick up--not even in sealed envelopes (unless you have the student's permission to do so). Instead, return assignments and exams in class.
  • DO NOT request from any party a student’s grade(s) for another class(es) to assist in grading for your class. This does not constitute a legitimate educational interest.
    • DO NOT circulate a printed class list for attendance purposes if it shows names and social security numbers or ID numbers.
    • DO NOT release a student's class schedule to anyone. For security purposes, this information must be kept confidential.


  • When in doubt, don’t give it out.

What are education records?

  • Records — handwriting, print, computer, videotape, audiotape, film, microfilm, microfiche, or e-mail — of an institution that contain information directly related to the student and are maintained by an agency or institution or party acting on its behalf.

Education records do not include:

  • Records/notes in sole possession of maker not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute;
  • Medical records;
  • Employment records when employment is not contingent on being a student, provided the record is used only in relation to the individual's employment;
  • Records created and maintained by a law enforcement unit used only for that purpose, is revealed only to law enforcement agencies of the same jurisdiction, and the enforcement unit does not have access to education records;
  • Information on a person that was obtained when no longer a student (i.e., alumni records) and does not relate to the person as a student.

Consent for Release of Information on Academic Record and Progress

If students would like parents or guardians to access information about their academic record and progress, they should download the Consent for Release form, complete it and submit it to the Registrar’s Office (10 Funkhouser).

UK Directory Information includes:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone listings
  • E-mail address
  • Photograph
  • Place of birth
  • Major Field of Study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Dates of Attendance
  • Enrollment Status (full-time, part-time, etc.)
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended by the student

Direct questions concerning this law and the University's policy concerning release of academic information to the Student Records Office: (859) 257-7157. For more information and resources please visit

Financial Aid Probation

In order to be eligible to receive financial aid, a returning student is required to have met certain standards of satisfactory academic progress during his or her previous UK attendance. These standards apply whether or not financial aid was received during prior semester(s). Students meeting these standards are considered to be making Reasonable Academic Progress (RAP). Entering freshmen students and students transferring to U.K. from a school outside the University system are automatically eligible to receive the aid offered. 

RAP applies to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students and is evaluated each May by the UK Office of Student Financial Aid (SFA). Criteria for RAP include:

  • minimum credit hour completion: 67% of all cumulative credit, including transfer credit
  • cumulative grade point average: cumulative UK GPA of at least a 2.0
  • maximum time to receive financial aid: 150% of the published length of degree program, double majors and change of majors do not increase timeframe. Appeals must be made for second undergraduate degrees or second graduate degrees
  • failure to complete coursework: failure to earn credit for two consecutive terms or withdrawing from all courses for two terms will make a student ineligible for aid

A returning student who does not meet the required standards during his or her last enrollment period(s) will have any offer of aid canceled.

Students may appeal the RAP decision if their failure to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards is due to extenuating circumstances which 1) are beyond the student’s control, 2) have been resolved, and 3) will not affect future performance. To initiate an appeal, students must complete the Reasonable Academic Progress (RAP) Appeal Form and submit the appeal form with a letter and appropriate documentation. Specifics about the RAP policy, the criteria, and the appeal process may be found on the SFA website,

Appeals may be granted for one term of probation with specific academic requirements, after which time the student will be 1) required to meet the cumulative standards or the probationary requirements, 2) deferred for additional information, or 3) denied. Students on probation will be advised of academic requirements they must meet while on probation, as well as consequences should they fail to meet those requirements. The UK advisor on record will receive a copy of the letter to the student specifying the terms of the financial aid probation.

Additional information can be found in thon the Office of Financial Aid website,

Incomplete Grades

An Incomplete grade (designated ‘I’ on the student’s transcript) is essentially an agreement between the student and the course instructor of record to complete course requirements after the last day of classes. The student initiates the request for an Incomplete grade, but the course instructor is in no way obligated to grant the student’s request. However, if the instructor deems the student able to complete the requirements successfully within the span of the agreement (which is generally one calendar year after the end of the term in which the student was enrolled in the course), the instructor may post an Incomplete grade via myUK. The ‘I’ grade is not to be used when the student is merely repeating the course in a subsequent semester.

If, within twelve months from the end of the semester in which the student was enrolled in the course the instructor does not change the ‘I’ grade to a letter grade (A, B, C, D), the ‘I’ automatically reverts to an E. The instructor has twelve further months in which to assign a grade change to replace the E or ask for an extension.

An undergraduate student who has an ‘I’ grade in any course cannot have their degree conferred. For graduate and professional programs, please see the Senate Rules for additional details.

Independent Study and Distance Learning

Students can enroll in a course via independent study. These courses are housed in colleges within each department under the course number 395 for undergraduates and 595 for graduates. Generally these courses are listed for variable credit. Students interested in completing an independent study should contact their academic advisor to determine the appropriate contact person in the department. Often the appropriate contact person will be the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) or the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) of the department in which the course is housed. The student usually will need to find a faculty sponsor, and to determine with that person the appropriate number of credit hours to be earned.

Courses with a 200 section number are offered via distance learning (DL). This course can be taught as a hybrid (partially in class and partially online), completed online using Blackboard or other technology, or taken at a satellite location. This option offers flexibility for students, but can also be challenging for first-year students still balancing the transition to college. Students interested in DL courses can consult the online course catalog each term for a listing of courses at

Registration and Add/Drop Windows

Registration Windows:

Specific registration windows are designated for students to register for classes. Incoming students may register during advising conferences and continuing students may register during assigned priority registration windows. These windows are determined by cumulative earned hours, which does not include hours currently in progress. Graduate and professional students register first, followed in order by seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. Some student categories, such as athletes, Honors, veterans, and students registered with Disability Resource Center may register in between the graduate/professional window and the senior window.

Students can locate their registration window in myUK under the registration tab or consult the schedule of windows published by the Registrar’s Office at

Add/Drop Windows:

After the advising conference (for new students) or when priority registration windows close (for continuing students), there are specific dates (Add/Drop windows) when students may continue to register for courses and make changes in their schedule. Students are encouraged to consult with their advisor when making schedule changes. 

Adding - Once the semester begins students may add courses to their schedules for the first week of classes. Students interested in enrolling in part-of-term courses should consult their advisor. 

Late Registration - Students who register for their first course(s) of the term on the first day of class or later will be assessed a late registration fee.


Students may cancel registration before the first day of class by using myUK. Doing so for fall or spring semester will earn a full refund. Students may cancel registration for summer sessions by the second day of classes for a full refund.

Students who drop a class and thereby reduce their course load below full-time status may be eligible for a partial refund. Refunds are based on the withdrawal date.

Students may drop a course until the designated last day to withdraw.

Students who wish to withdraw from all classes must contact the Registrar’s Office.

For further instructions about add/ drop or withdrawing, please consult the Registrar’s Office website, .

Where to find the Registration, Add/Drop, and Refund Dates:

Priority Registration, Add/Drop, and Refund dates are included in the academic calendar,

Students may view their individual registration windows from the Registration tab in myUK at any time. The currently active window will be highlighted. 

Specific course dates can be found in the Course Catalog in myUK. Search for the course and then hover the cursor over the course title. A window will open with the course deadlines and the refund schedule.

Registration and Grades

Registration of all students (undergraduate and graduate) is arranged through the UK Registration Office (Funkhouser Building). 

  • New, transfer, and readmitted students register for their upcoming term at an assigned advising conference. 
  • Continuing students and graduate students register via their myUK portal (
  • Non-degree students are not required to attend an advising conference (but may chose to do so).

Students, as well as academic advisors, should utilize information stipulated by the Registration Office regarding registration dates for specific terms as well as technical guidance on using myUK. This can be accessed online at

Priority Registration

Priority registration refers to the earliest period of time in which students can register for upcoming terms. This period is held after the midterm period of fall and spring. During this time, students are assigned a specific three-day window based upon credit hours earned or special designations. It should be noted that student groups with special designations (e.g., Honors Program, Athletes, and Students with Disabilities) register before other undergraduate students.

Registration window

Registration windows for upcoming terms can be found online at , as well as in myUK. The order of registration window dates is first determined by student classification (e.g. Doctorate, Masters, Undergraduates, etc.) and then by earned hours. Students can determine their number of earned hours by viewing their unofficial transcript via myUK. These hours do not include courses in progress. 

Secondary window

After a student’s registration window closes, other opportunities arise for the student to complete registration and/or to make changes via myUK. Students can view these by selecting “Registration” within myUK. This may also be an opportunity for students to register for classes that were not available during their priority window (such as courses in specific minors or in restricted programs).

Last day to add

Students may add classes until the final day to add a course as specified by the University’s academic calendar.

Students may contact their academic advisor, course instructor, or other departmental designee to have a part-of-term course added after the last official day to add a course.

Common Registration Issues

Generally, prior to registering via myUK, undergraduate degree-seeking students must meet with their academic advisor. The academic advisor shall then lift the student’s advisor hold (via myUK).


Common types of holds include: admissions, advising, alcohol education, delinquent account, disciplinary, immunization, library, hospital, parking, probation, student health, and suspension. It is the student’s responsibility to resolve all holds or stops which would prohibit registration. A hold can prevent a student from registering, adding classes, changing sections, or changing grade options. A student may, however, drop courses or withdraw (cancel registration) with most holds. Please be aware that some holds prevent students from making any changes to their academic registration (e.g., APP, probation, athletic, certain college suspension holds).

Waitlisted courses

If a student attempts to add a course that is already at capacity in myUK, the student may be waitlisted if a waitlist is specified by the respective instructor or program. Within the student’s schedule, this course status would be specified as “Waitlisted #.” The number indicated is the position on the waitlist (#1 being the first in line). If an enrolled student drops the course, the student at the top of the waitlist is added to the course. All the students remaining on the waitlist are advanced one position. . A student waitlisted for a course is not permitted to add the same course with a different section number – the student must drop the waitlisted course first. It is the student’s responsibility to check myUK to determine if they have been moved from waitlist to enrolled status.

Academic advisors should note this when meeting with students regarding registration. Being waitlisted in a course does not guarantee enrollment, but counts toward course load with regard to the maximum number of hours for which a student can register. Students should be advised to have alternative courses scheduled to preserve desired credit hours in the event they are unsuccessful getting into a waitlisted course. Waitlists are purged after the last day to add a class.

Advisors need to work with waitlisted students to determine the likelihood that a student will gain registration for a specific course. The advisor must take into account the number of seats in the course and the number of students on the waitlist.

Restricted courses

A restricted course limits enrollment to students in a particular college, major, student classification, or program. Student may not be able to register for a restricted course on myUK unless they meet necessary designated criteria.


Students may request an override if they do not meet the designated criteria, fail to meet the prerequisites for a particular course, or if the course is closed. Students must get special permission from the college or department offering the course if they wish to enroll in the class. Permission granted to enter a restricted course is issued electronically. Please note that an electronic override does not constitute registration in a course. After the override is issued, students must register for the course using myUK.

Part-of-term courses

Courses can be planned to start later in a term (past the first day of classes) and/or end prior to the last day of classes. For courses that start after the last day to add, students must gain enrollment in such a course through a designated official – either the instructor or a college official- as the traditional deadline to add courses may have passed and students will not have access to modify their schedules at that time. For courses that begin after the traditional first day of classes, students typically have less than one business week from the class start date to become enrolled. Academic calendar dates related to part-of-term courses can be accessed in myUK through the course catalog or student schedule by moving the cursor over the course.

Student Load

Student load is determined by the number of hours in which a student is enrolled in a given semester. (See chart below as a reference.) Any student who wishes to enroll in more than the maximum hours must seek permission to have an overload from the respective college. The designated college official will determine if the student’s case supports approving an overload. A student who takes a credit load less than full-time is considered a part-time student. Students on probation may be limited to 15 credit hours during fall and spring terms.

Fall/Spring Terms

Summer Terms


Full time status

Maximum hours without overload

Full time status

Maximum hours without overload


12 credit hours

19 credit hours

13* cr. hrs. (9 from 8-week and 4 from 4-week)

13* credit hours (9 from 8-week and 4 from 4-week))


9 credit hours

15** credit hours

5 credit hours

12 credit hours


Varies by program

*Four-week courses taken during the 8-week session are subject to the same maximum hour credit limits as the 4-week session.

** Teaching Assistants should not exceed 10 hours.

University Scholars

University Scholars, or students in the combined Bachelor’s and Master’s degree program, are limited to no more than 16 hours per fall and spring terms. The Director of the Graduate Studies and the Dean of the Graduate School may give special permission to a University Scholar to exceed this amount. 


The common grade scales at the University of Kentucky include letter-grades, Pass/Fail, and Audit. The ‘normal’ grade scale for a course is the specified default grade scale as approved for that course by the University Senate.

Grades are assigned in a letter format. Each grade represents the student’s performance in the course in which the grade is assigned. The general grading scale is in an A, B, C, D, E format for regularly graded undergraduate courses. The letter D is not utilized at the graduate level. The letters P and F are assigned to courses which have been taken under the Pass/Fail grading option. The grades listed above, along with other grades such as an AU, CR, I, IP, N, S, UI, SI, UN, XE, XF, W, X, and Z, are defined in the University Bulletin.

Advisors should pay special attention to I, XE, XF, and W grades due to implications regarding repeat options. For a definition of each grade, please visit

Certain colleges and programs (e.g., Dentistry, Design, Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Landscape Architecture) have alternative grading scales. For additional information, visit the aforementioned link.


Description of Grade


Means that part of the regularly assigned work of the course remains undone. It shall be conferred only when there is a reasonable possibility that the student can complete the work within the allowable period of time for removal of an I grade and that a passing grade will result from completion of the work.


Represents failure in a course due to an academic offense. It is valued at zero (0) quality points and zero (0) credit hours. The repeat option may not be exercised for any course in which the grade of XE was received.


Represents failure in a course taken on a Pass/Fail basis due to an academic offense. It is valued at zero (0) quality points and zero (0) credit hours. The repeat option may not be exercised for any course in which the grade of XF was received.


Represents a temporary grade to be submitted for students who have been entered by the Registrar into official class rolls but have never attended class and who have not officially withdrawn. The Registrar shall remove their names from the official class roll and the student's enrollment in the class shall not be recorded in the student’s official academic record.

Pass/Fail Grading Option

Undergraduate students above the freshman level and not on academic probation have the option to select a maximum of four elective courses (normally taken for a letter grade), with certain restrictions, to be taken on a Pass/Fail basis. (Note: Some colleges may further restrict the number of classes students can take on a Pass/Fail basis.) Credit hours successfully completed under this option shall count toward graduation but shall not be used in calculating Grade Point Average (GPA).


  • Courses taken Pass/Fail shall be limited to those considered as elective, meaning courses that will not apply to the UK Core, major, minor, or certificate.
  • Any student may designate or change his or her grading option to Pass/Fail within three weeks from the beginning of classes in fall or spring semesters (or a proportionate amount of time for courses taught in the summer terms/sessions or of less than a full semester’s duration). For designated date, see the Academic Calendar.


  • Prerequisites for elective courses taken Pass/Fail may be waived with the consent of the respective instructor or college designee
  • Students in the Honors Program above freshman level may select additional courses (more than four) with the advance written approval of the Director of the Honors Program.
  • A student’s total amount of courses taken Pass/Fail includes transfer courses (applies to KCTCS coursework transferred to UK prior to Summer 2007).
  • A student pursuing a second bachelor’s degree is not entitled to take additional courses Pass/Fail except as the Director of the Honors Program might permit.

Additional notes for Advisors

  • To change the status of a course to Pass/Fail after the three week period (or proportionate time for summer sections), students must receive approval of their academic dean or dean’s designee. The waiver and the rationale for the waiver must be documented in the student’s record in the college; this change must be processed in conjunction with the Registrar’s Office.
  • Courses offered only on a Pass/Fail basis shall not be included in the maximum number of elective courses a student may take under these provisions.
  • The instructor of record shall not be notified regarding students who are taking their course Pass/Fail. The instructor shall submit a letter grade to the Registrar’s Office, which will then take appropriate action to change the grade to reflect Pass/Fail grading for records.
  • Colleges have specific rules regarding Pass/Fail electives, so each student should be encouraged to seek advice before taking a course Pass/Fail.
  • Advisors should also consider whether this student will change majors or add a second major when considering advising a student to take a course Pass/Fail.

When designating a class as Pass/Fail during the approved time period, a student should enter the desired grade type through the myUK system under the registration tab.

Students can also designate the desire to take a Pass/Fail course during the registration process. Change the grading option to Pass/Fail when adding a course.

*pictures for the last two sentences here: Repeat Options

Repeat Options

A repeat option allows a currently enrolled student who has taken a UK course twice to have only the second grade included in the student’s UK GPA. 

This option will allow a student (specifically, someone who is enrolled in a current term) to have their grade for the second attempt of a course calculated into the GPA, instead of the grade from the first attempt of a specific class. A repeat option does not remove the first grade listed on the transcript. It simply removes the first course from the GPA calculation.

Students have 3 repeat options that they may use during their undergraduate career. 

Students may file a repeat option one time per course.

The second completion of a course is the grade used in the GPA calculation once a repeat option is filed.

Repeat options may not be used to remove a “W” from the transcript.

The University of Kentucky Bulletin says:

An Undergraduate student has the option to repeat once as many as three different completed courses with only the grade, credit hours, and quality points for the second completion used in computing the student’s academic standing and credit for graduation. The limit of three Repeat Options holds for a student’s entire undergraduate career no matter how many degrees or programs are attempted.

For example: if a student fails a class in their first attempt of a course (regardless of the amount of credit hours assigned to that course) and follows that up with a successful attempt in the class the second time, the quality points, quality hours and earned hours of the first attempt will be removed from the student’s GPA calculation, and the quality points, quality hours and earned hours from the second attempt will be reflected in the student’s academic record.

It is important to remember that the second attempt will always count if a student files a repeat option. So, if a student fails a class two times and earns an A in the third attempt, only the first E will be removed from the GPA if the student files a repeat option. The second E will count in the GPA and the A will also count in the GPA.

Additional Repeat Option Specifics

A student planning on using a Repeat Option MUST repeat the same class at the University of Kentucky (for example, a student cannot take a second attempt at BCTC and file a Repeat Option).

A student must file an official Repeat Option form in the College in which the student is currently enrolled.

A student must exercise any Repeat Option applicable before the student has completed their undergraduate degree.

The Repeat Option can only be used on the second attempt of a course, not in any further attempts.

A student may not use a Repeat Option when retaking a course on a Pass/Fail basis if the course was originally taken for a letter grade.

If a student withdraws from their second attempt at a course and receives a W, the Repeat Option may be used on that same course for the third attempt.

The initial attempt is NOT removed from the student’s academic transcript; instead the student’s transcript will reflect that the student has repeated the course underneath the first listing of that course. It reads “Exclude Earn/Grade Repeat Crs”.

Repeat options are only processed during semesters in which the student is enrolled. For example, a student registered for fall who submits a repeat option in the summer semester will not have their repeat option processed until the fall semester begins. However, if the student were enrolled in the summer, the grade could be processed in that term.

In order to file a repeat option, the student can complete a repeat option form in the student services office of their college. The student will need to know their ID number, the course prefix, the course number, and the first and second term in which they took the course. This form will be sent to the Registrar’s Office and should be processed within a few weeks. The student will know that the form has been processed once the notation appears on their unofficial transcript.

Duplicate Credit

A student may earn credit hours and associated quality points for a course only once, unless the course is designated as repeatable. A student who has enrolled more than once for the same non-repeatable course will be awarded credit hours and associated quality points only for the first time the course is completed with a passing grade during the student‘s academic career. This policy applies regardless of the source (e.g. transfer, AP, etc.), unless the student properly exercises the Repeat Option.

If a student completes the first attempt of a class with a passing grade then fails the second attempt of the same class they can request the Duplicate Credit option to be applied and the second attempt will not be used in GPA/Quality hours/ or Earned hours calculations of the student’s academic record.

Each college should submit duplicate credit to the Registrar’s office for removal.

Students should consult with their individual college regarding how Duplicate Credit is handled.

Special Academic Programs

AP, IB and CLEP Credit

The University of Kentucky offers Special Academic Programs which will allow students to earn credit in a nontraditional way. High school students may take part in programs which offer college credit based on accelerated classroom coursework. Many high schools offer these programs as Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate opportunities. Students take accelerated courses during their high school careers, and then are tested on their knowledge of the coursework at the end of the semester. Depending upon the score received, the student may qualify for earned college credit at the University of Kentucky. Only course credit will be awarded and there is no effect on a student’s GPA.

The credit (type of class and number of hours) a student may earn upon admission to the University of Kentucky will depend on scores received in the aforementioned tests.

Equivalency charts for AP and IB can be found in the current University of Kentucky Bulletin.

In addition to the above opportunities for a student to earn college credit without attending a “traditional” class, students may also take a CLEP exam or selected classes. CLEP exams test common knowledge of specific courses taught at many universities. While the University of Kentucky accepts CLEP test scores, it does not administer the tests at this time. A Policy Guide for CLEP exams can be found in the University of Kentucky Bulletin.

Students may also earn college credit while in high school by participating in a higher education dual-credit program. A student who completes a dual credit course receives both high school and college-level credit for that course. Students may use the transfer equivalency website to determine how the work they complete will be counted at UK. 

For more information, please visit

Student Course Load

Undergraduate students may enroll in a maximum of 19 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. The limit during summer sessions is four hours in the Summer I session and nine hours in the Summer II session. 

Students who wish to enroll in additional hours of coursework must seek permission from their academic advisor or the appropriate representative from the Dean’s Office of their college. Permission is contingent upon the student’s previous academic performance. The advisor making the decision should consider the following factors: What is the student’s current GPA? Has the student ever successfully completed a semester with a credit overload? Is it plausible for any student to complete the requested number of credit hours in the timeframe given? Does the student have other responsibilities (work, etc.) that could prevent success? Would it create a significant hardship on the student if permission is denied (i.e. delay graduation)? If permission is granted, the advisor should direct the student to the Academic Calendar so the student is aware of drop dates in case the over-enrollment is too taxing. Once permission is given for an overload, the advisor should work with the student on enrollment in the requested courses. To enroll in additional hours, an override must be submitted in myUK. The override function is housed in Student Administration<Registration<Assign Student Overrides. The type of override is “Override Maximum Credit Hours”. The advisor can enter the “Override Maximum Credit Hours” for every course the student intends to take. Alternately, the student can enroll in the most competitive courses on their own (up to 19 hours) and allow the advisor to enroll them in the other less competitive course(s).

Students on academic probation are limited to 15 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. The limit during summer sessions is three hours in the Summer I session and seven hours in the Summer II session. Students who wish to enroll in additional hours of coursework must seek permission as described above. Generally for freshman and most first-term transfer students, 15-17 hours is considered an ideal course load. When a student requests an override for maximum semester hours, it must be for a specific course and section, not just an overall increase in hours. So the entire planned semester schedule should be known before the course load override is granted.

Undergraduate Advising Calendar


  • Certifications for fall degree applicants.
  • Prior to classes resuming for spring semester, orientation for international students, freshmen, re-admitted students, and transfers.
  • Spring semester begins.
  • See academic calendar for specific dates on the last day to add and last day to drop without it appearing on the student transcript.
  • Advisors should meet with students on probation to develop a plan of action.
  • Academic and national holiday - Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday.


  • Most colleges will begin appointments for summer/fall priority registration.
  • Major change window closes until after priority registration.
  • Time to post work study, mentor or ambassador openings for fall.
  • Time to finalize all advising materials for orientations for next year’s students.
  • Last day for undergraduate students to apply online for August commencement.


  • Merit Weekend orientations in early March usually before and after spring break.
  • Priority deadline for continuing students to apply for financial aid.
  • Midterm grades are posted by instructors on myUK.
  • Academic holiday - Spring break for students which occurs at the tenth week of the spring semester.
  • Registration windows open for summer/fall semester.


  • See academic calendar for the last day to withdraw from a course.
  • Priority registration ends for summer/fall terms.
  • Transfer advising conference for fall.
  • Major change window reopens.
  • Senior graduation checks for summer and fall degree applicants.


  • Spring grades are due to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Certifications for spring degree applicants.
  • Spring commencement ceremony.
  • End of term processing to make decisions about probation and suspension are handled by each college.
  • Summer I session begins. Orientation day before session begins.
  • Deadline for previously-suspended students to apply for reinstatement for fall semester.
  • Academic and national holiday – Memorial Day.


  • End of Summer I session.
  • Summer II session begins. Orientation day before session begins.
  • See Blue U Orientations begin for new freshmen, readmitted, and transfer students for fall semester.
  • Last day for undergraduate students to apply on line for December commencement.


  • Academic and national holiday – Independence Day.
  • See Blue U Orientations end.


  • End of Summer II session.
  • August commencement ceremony.
  • Certifications for summer degree applicants.
  • New admissions application and recruitment materials are available online for recruitment of next year’s class of students.
  • Fall semester begins with K-Week activities including a college meeting for all incoming students.
  • August orientations begin for international, new freshmen, readmitted, and transfer students for fall semester.
  • See academic calendar for specific dates on the last day to add and last day to drop without it appearing on the student transcript.
  • Recruitment efforts begin with “See Blue” Preview Nights.


  • Academic and national holiday – Labor Day.
  • Many colleges require freshmen to meet with their advisor during the first month to “check-in” and see how they are handling the transition to college.
  • Major change window closes until after priority registration.
  • Recruitment efforts continue with “See Blue” Preview Nights.
  • See academic calendar for specific dates on the last day to add and last day to drop without it appearing on the student transcript.


  • Deadline for previously suspended students to apply for reinstatement for spring semester.
  • Midterm grades are posted by instructors on myUK.
  • Recruitment efforts continue with “See Blue” Preview Nights.
  • Priority registration for spring semester begins.


  • Priority registration for spring semester ends.
  • Orientations for new, transfer, and readmitted students for spring.
  • Deadline to apply for a May undergraduate degree.
  • Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the designated Fall Academic Break. Thanksgiving Day and the Friday-Sunday after are academic holidays.
  • Major change window reopens.
  • Senior graduation checks for spring degree applicants.


  • Fall grades are due to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Fall commencement ceremony.
  • End of term processing to make decisions about probation and suspension are handled by each college. Students must be notified prior to the start of the spring semester.


Generally speaking, a withdrawal is a request from the student to cease their enrollment in a course. There are several different types of withdrawals that a student may request; the type of withdrawal required will depend on the point in the semester and/or the number of courses from which the student wishes to withdraw. A withdrawal is distinguished from merely ‘dropping’ a course by the time during the semester when the request is made, and whether the student remains enrolled in other courses for the semester.

When a student withdraws from a class after the term drop period, a W will appear on the transcript in the place of a grade. A W for a course does not earn a student credit hours, quality points, or quality hours. The number of credit hours that the student attempted will still include the credit hours for the course from which the student withdrew. While a withdrawal will not impact a student’s GPA, the successful completion of credit hours is important for things like financial aid (see financial aid probation rules and/or consult the financial aid ombudsman), scholarships, etc. The procedures and processes for each of the different types of withdrawals are listed below.

Withdrawal from a Course During Withdrawal Period

The academic calendar outlines the period of time in which a student can choose to withdraw from a course. Specific course dates can be found in the Course Catalog in myUK. Search for the course and then hover the cursor over the course title. A window will open with the course deadlines and the refund schedule.

 If, after withdrawing from the course(s) that s/he desires, the student would remain enrolled in at least one credit hour, the student can withdraw from the courses via the myUK system.

Withdrawal from All Courses During the Withdrawal Period

If a student desires to withdraw from all of his/her courses during a given semester after the semester has begun, then s/he will be able to follow the steps above for all but the last class from which s/he intends to withdraw. In order for a student to completely withdraw from an entire semester after the semester has started, s/he will need to communicate with the Registrar’s Office. Below are the methods that a student can use to withdraw from a term entirely:

  • withdrawing in person at the Registrar's Office in 10 Funkhouser Building
  • requesting withdrawal from course work via fax
  • mailing the withdrawal request to the Registrar's Office

In person: A student is required to come to 10 Funkhouser Building between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and complete an Authorization to Withdraw card. Additional signatures may be required depending upon the student's enrollment status. The date noted on the Authorization to Withdraw card will serve as the student's official withdrawal date.

Fax request: There are circumstances in which a student cannot physically appear to withdraw. For these cases, the Registrar's Office will accept a faxed request for withdrawal. The date of the fax will serve as the official date of the withdrawal. The fax number is (859) 257-7160.

The information needed for the fax request is:

full name

student number

list of courses




phone number

Mail request: The student may mail a written request for withdrawal to the Registrar's Office. The address is:

Student Records
10 Funkhouser Building
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0054

The postmark will serve as the official date of the withdrawal. Information for withdrawal via mail is identical to that of the fax request. (source:

Withdrawing after the Withdrawal Period (Post-Midterm Withdrawal)

Once the deadline has passed for a student to be able to withdraw from a course, a student may request a withdrawal for non-academic reasons only. This is also known as a post-midterm withdrawal. The deadlines for this type of withdrawal are from the day after the deadline to withdraw from classes to the last day of classes for the semester.

In order to request this type of a withdrawal, the student will need to work with the appropriate designee in his/her college’s student services office (usually an Associate Dean, Assistant Dean, Student Services Director, or a person designated to hear these requests). This designated individual will determine if the student is able to withdraw from the course(s) past the deadline.

This type of withdrawal should be limited to those reasons that are non-academic in nature (i.e., illness, family crisis, etc.). If the designated official deems the request as reasonable and grants the student permission to withdraw from the course(s) after the deadline, the official will e-mail the Associate Registrar for Student Records to indicate that s/he has given the student permission to withdraw from the course(s) after the deadline. Any courses with already-posted grades can only be withdrawn from with the consent of the instructor.

If the student will be withdrawing from the entire semester, s/he will need to follow the withdrawal process outlined above. In addition to the designated official contacting the Registrar’s Office about permission being granted for the student to withdraw after the deadline, the student will also need to complete an Authorization to Withdraw Card with the Registrar’s Office.

Withdrawal after the End of a Semester (Retroactive Withdrawal)

There are a certain set of requirements that a student must meet in order to withdraw from classes after the last day of classes has passed. The student must meet the conditions for what is called a retroactive withdrawal in order to be able to do this. The link to the Academic Requirements section of the Bulletin provides a description of the conditions for a retroactive withdrawal:

A student requesting this type of withdrawal will need to demonstrate evidence of: a serious injury or illness, a serious personal or family problem, serious financial difficulties, or a newly diagnosed permanent disability. A student requesting this type of a withdrawal will need to complete a retroactive withdrawal appeal packet with the student services office for the college in which he/she was enrolled for the semester for which they are requesting the withdrawal.

The packet that the student needs to complete, as well as deadlines for submitting appeals, can be found at this link:

The packet consists of an application page, a detailed personal statement from the student, instructor feedback forms for each of the classes from which the student is requesting a withdrawal, a signature page from the college, an unofficial transcript, and supporting documentation from the student. Supporting documentation might include medical records, recommendations from medical professionals, obituaries, financial records, legal records, letters of reference from the Disability Resource Center, or police reports. In accordance with federal law, the student’s privacy will be respected and observed at all stages of the review process.

Once the student has completed the packet, the college committee, Dean, or designated party (see contact list for each college’s designee) will review the packet and determine whether they support or do not support the packet and detail their reasoning in a letter that is included in the packet. This should be completed within thirty days of receiving the completed packet. This letter should also detail the reasoning behind why any instructor feedback forms were waived for the student (e.g., professor is no longer at the university, the professor refused to fill out the form, the student made multiple documented attempts and received no response, etc.).

The packet should be delivered to the University Retroactive Withdrawal Committee regardless of whether the packet is endorsed by the college committee, Dean, or designated party. The packet should be sent to:

University Senate Council
Attn: SRWAC203E
Main Building
Campus, -0032

The Retroactive Withdrawal Committee will review the packet and determine whether or not to grant the withdrawal. Their decision will be sent to the dean or designated party for retroactive withdrawals for each college and this person will notify the student of the decision.

It should be noted that while students have the right to request partial withdrawals from semesters that this type of request is not frequently granted. Typically retroactive withdrawals are granted for entire semesters.

A student has two calendar years from the last day of the semester from which they are requesting a retroactive withdrawal to file this type of withdrawal. This process must be completed before a student graduates.

Withdrawal to Enter the Military

The University of Kentucky Bulletin says:

Students who withdraw (and within ten (10) days enter the Armed Services either mandatorily or voluntarily) after completing the twelfth week of the semester, the third week of the four week summer term, or the sixth week of the 8 week summer session, or later, shall be entitled to receive full credit and residence for the course. The grade report shall be that attained in the course up to the time of withdrawal. If, with the credit and residence time granted, the student has fulfilled all requirements for a degree, the student shall be recommended for that degree by the University Senate. If a comprehensive course examination is required for graduation, this requirement shall be waived.

Other Helpful Info

Students will often request a “medical withdrawal” from classes. Technically there is not a separate procedure for this type of a withdrawal. The student would follow the same procedures listed above based on when the request was being made.

After withdrawing, students may wish to submit a tuition appeal, if the withdrawal is based upon non-academic reasons.

The form for the tuition appeal is located here:

General information about withdrawals can be found here: