WHO needs to take a MATH placement test?
- All admitted first-time students with Math ACT score below 30;
- A transfer student who does not have transfer credit for a 100-level or higher math course. Taking the placement test is recommended if the transfer credit has not been received. Click here for more information on how you can take the ALEKS math placement exam.
- All admitted first-time students with Math SAT score below 700;
- If you took the SAT test prior to March 2016;
- If you took the SAT test after March 2016;
WHO needs to take a READING placement test?
- Students are required to take a Reading placement test if they have
- an SAT score below 480 in Critical Reading if taken prior to March 2016 or
- an SAT score below 25 on the Reading Test if taken from March 2016 forward
- an ACT Reading score 19 and below
Click here for more information on how you can take the Accuplacer Reading placement exam.
WHO needs to take a WRITING placement test?
Students are required to take an English/Writing test if they have
- an SAT score below 480 in Writing if taken prior to March 2016 or
- an SAT score below 25 on the Writing Test if taken from March 2016 forward
- an ACT English score 17 and below
Click here for more information on how you can take the Accuplacer Reading/Writing placement exam.
WHAT test do I need to take?
- ALEKS placement testing for math placement (See above)
- ACCUPLACER for Reading placement
- ACCUPLACER for Writing placement
- ESL Placement Testing for international undergraduates who qualify for English proficiency testing.
WHEN do I need to take a placement test?
- All placement exams for students admitted prior to May 1, must be completed by June 1
- All placement exams for students admitted after May 1 must be completed within two weeks of acceptance letter.
- Students MUST take all placement tests before their See Blue U orientation date and/or before registering for classes. Typically, these conferences occur in spring or summer for Fall enrollment and in late fall for Spring enrollment. Please refer to correspondence from your undergraduate admissions counselor for more information on these conferences. www.uky.edu/seeblueU/
- Students with documented physical, learning, or temporary disabilities may receive assistance and support from the UK Disability Resource Center. www.uky.edu/DisabilityResourceCenter/
WHERE can I take a placement test?
- ALEKS is an online assessment of strengths and weaknesses of a student’s math knowledge. Please check your ACT or SAT score above in the WHO section above for more information on where you can take your ALEKs math placement exam.
- For more information about ALEKS, please see the Math page.
- Accuplacer for Reading and Writing can be taken on campus or at a pre-approved testing center close to home. While the test is free, external testing centers often charge a fee.