International Graduate Students

International students are eligible for all career services available through the James W. Stuckert Career Center, including on campus recruiting. It can be challenging to find a "sponsor friendly" employer so you need to begin the process early!

Here are some general tips to get you started. Schedule regular job search time and attend workshops (especially ones that emphasize business culture and etiquette). Be sure to prepare a concise resume that includes your language skills beyond English. It is also very important to practice interviewing. Focus on selling the skills that you have which are of value to employers.

You need to start the OPT process early. Become an expert on visa and work options available to you as you may need to educate prospective employers. Help is available in the Office for International Affairs located in Bradley Hall.

Do not argue with an employer about hiring you. Some employers will not sponsor international students for various reasons. Move on to employers who are "sponsor friendly". Talk to recent graduates, do an advanced search on jobs in Wildcat CareerLink, ask your professors—there are many ways to find employers that are known to hire international students and sponsor H1-B status. A couple good websites are Foreign Labor Certification (U.S. Dept of Labor resource) and a more informal listing at H1B Visa Sponsoring Companies.